Lhbs: "dont Go On The Internet"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

faceless internet personas..... if you have an issue with this lhbs staff member....... man up and say something to the guy........ i did.... and he was really nice to me..... try it..... you might like it....... we've been the best of buds ever since..........

Last time I was in Riggers served me. He cracked a couple of good jokes. Even made my 9 month old boy smile so he can't be that bad.

There have been times when he's been a bit of a sour faced git but so what. On Saturday mornings I'm not Mr Charisma either.

I'll agree sometimes it's not the A1 customer service you'd want - especially for noobs - but if you listen to his brewing demo's or pick his brains he knows his stuff. I think reading this thread the character assassination is a bit harsh...

Thinking about it I'd prefer Riggers in the store over some kid who knows fuckall but works for a low wage on a Sunday and who thinks he's it - anyone been to the store in Bentleigh? Jeez. That guy's a prime example of an expert in his own mind...

Give the guy a break.

faceless internet personas..... if you have an issue with this lhbs staff member....... man up and say something to the guy........ i did.... and he was really nice to me..... try it..... you might like it....... we've been the best of buds ever since..........

I have an issue with stuff going round and round on the internet without people manning up and saying something to the business, particularly a business I frequent and use and recommend regularly. Dobbing someone in would be if I worked there and tried to undermine my colleague.

Complaining about shit service to the actual shop (or in my case drawing attention to the fact that people are indirectly complaining) is hardly dobbing - if you think it is you may need to re-examine.

I'm not faceless either - have had face to face communication with said HBS owner as I organised a recent bulk buy there and have been a regular customer for a couple of years. Iwant more people to go there because I think it's great and the staff are generally great also.

Very happy dude was nice to you. Didn't change the fact that several people I know have decided not to spend between hundreds and thousands in the shop because his attitude is inappropriate. **** it's not as if anyone wanted to ask him to clean out the bins so they could scrape out the free old yeast.

'I'm interested in a kegging system'.

'mmmphhhh'.

Some people ain't got no sensayuma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe I'm saying this, this thread needs to be closed down maybe closed for a day or two until 'real' people have had had a chance to talk.

Haha. Old matey is going to dislike "The Internet" even more now.

i have used the foremetioned store and have no issues with staff in the store,their alway's helpful with advice,and as stated in above post i prefer to get assistance from someone who has year's experience than some kid who has very little experience..People have to remember this store has provided BAIB demo's for free,and the grain bulk buy's..

And now for something different...

kermit-goatse.jpg

Well, there goes the "tight as a frogs arsehole" comment!! What the hell has Miss Piggy been doing?????????

Prob about time this thread was locked. Seems to be going nowhere and at a rapid pace!! :)

Lots of people have said "man up and say something" etc.....why?

I am the customer, I have $ in my pocket to spend, I get treated poorly, my response is taking that $ elsewhere. It is not my responsibility or desire stand in a store and tell people they are giving the business a bad name. That is for management/owners to decide.

Pure and simple.

omg i'm so with you guys

let's go down and picket the shop on saturday morning.....

Huh
No way would I be joining a protest led by someone that starts a post "omg I`m so with you guys" :rolleyes:

As a former long time member and delegate for the BLF in it`s heydey, it sounds a bit soft and unpickety if you know what I mean.

You can hardly blame the OP for the way the thread turned out. All he did was share an amusing anecdote and decided to personally boycott the store. At no time did he openly advise other people to do the same. In any case it turns out a few other posters felt the same way and similarly did boycott the store. The truth is most people are not going to get into an argument with a stores person with what constitutes the vague term 'professional etiquette'. They've already had a bad time in the store and not going to make it worse by getting into an argument. Any way props to manticle for more openly addressing the issue.

Now I can hardly speak for G&G (cough cough) but a few issues are understandable. The grain thing I guess from their pov you're jumping the queue. I gather most of their customers 'do the right thing' and give their staff plenty of time to crush and pack grains in an orderly, timely fashion while you expect it now even though you did 'the wrong thing'. Maybe they've seen your face before and think, 'this guy should know better'. I mean homebrewing is not exactly an impulse hobby. As far as opening on Sunday there are penalty rates associated with that so obviously the owner has weighed up the pros and cons before and at this time does not think it is necessary. In the future who knows? From what I can gather G&G is probably an internet store first and a retail outlet second.

The witch hunt on the guy- eh I think it's very telling by the amount of vitriol he got that he has personally offended quite a few people that have decided to 'strike back'. You may think thats cowardly but whatever. By the same token posters have been unanimous in their praise of other staff members especially of the man 'who has hair, is holding a beer and whose name rhymes with 'this'. This hasn't been a slam on G&G but rather one of their employees. I doubt anybody wants the guy to get sacked just for the guy to act a little more courteous and that his style of humor may not by 'appreciated' by everybody next time.

I have an issue with stuff going round and round on the internet without people manning up and saying something to the business, particularly a business I frequent and use and recommend regularly. Dobbing someone in would be if I worked there and tried to undermine my colleague.

Complaining about shit service to the actual shop (or in my case drawing attention to the fact that people are indirectly complaining) is hardly dobbing - if you think it is you may need to re-examine.

I'm not faceless either - have had face to face communication with said HBS owner as I organised a recent bulk buy there and have been a regular customer for a couple of years. Iwant more people to go there because I think it's great and the staff are generally great also.

Very happy dude was nice to you. Didn't change the fact that several people I know have decided not to spend between hundreds and thousands in the shop because his attitude is inappropriate. **** it's not as if anyone wanted to ask him to clean out the bins so they could scrape out the free old yeast.

'I'm interested in a kegging system'.

'mmmphhhh'.

Some people ain't got no sensayuma.

wasn't having a go at you manticle...... i love you..... that joke shop clip..... had me pissing myself.... stick your hand in that tube........ riggers should get a tube...... or sell crabs..... haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggestion to the OP "don't have an opinion people dont like it". :icon_cheers:
If you simply must have an opinion, there is strict etiquette to follow and only certain narrow fora in which it can be expressed (under further regulation).

Those of you suggesting a brewer shouldn't warn other brewers about (perceived) poor advice are doing all brewers a disservice. Up to the individual to make of it what they will.

Guys I am very new to home brew, this is my second post on the forum and probably doesn't carry much weight.

I am fermenting my second batch now. I went straight for kegging and a kegerator setup and have dealt with Riggers a few times in last couple of weeks. I think it may just be his dry personality / sense of humor that may have come across the wrong way to some people.

He has really helped me out and saved me some $$$ on my set up, discussed the setup of my stc-1000 and placement of temp probe.

One of the kegs I originally bought turned out to have a slow leak from a pin hole, I wasn't sure about it but he told me to go home and spray with Starsan and leave it alone for 20 mins, sure enough there was a large mass of bubbles around the small hole.

I took it back the next day and he served me again, swapped over the keg and was more than happy to have a chat again. I bought some fresh wort and he suggested some hops and finnings to add and told me how to do it,

I really don't know the guy very well, it is just my personal experience but he as been very helpful to me. This site has also provided me with plenty of helpful information, like most other forums you just have to sought the chaff from the hay.

Everyone,

Ive asked the mods to reopen this thread so I can respond. I didn't ask for it to be closed.

First of all I want to say that I take responsibility for the business and my employees. I and we are all far from perfect.

Thanks for the comments from everyone. As tough as it is, and it is very tough on Paul, we want to know how people are feeling. If anyone would like to speak to me, please call me, especially losp on 03 9687 0061 and just ask for John. This applies to anyone and any issue in the future too.

I have spoken with Paul (Riggers) who has read through the thread and initially the action taken is going to be in two parts:

The dont go on the internet comment and attitude is out of line and that has been spoken about.

The Grumpy Old Man thing will be toned down.

Beyond that Im not going to conduct a public performance appraisal.

As Ferg says Paul has done more for home brewing than most people over nearly 20 years. Judging, officiating in his brewing club and at state level, going to club members and customers houses to help with their brewing or systems. It also should be said that Paul is well aware of his own personality and cops ang gives a fair bit of good natured banter both from customers and employees so feel free to have some fun.

Thanks for all of the positive comments although it must be costing Chris a fortune bribing all of you guys.

Cheers

John

Everyone,

Ive asked the mods to reopen this thread so I can respond. I didn't ask for it to be closed.

First of all I want to say that I take responsibility for the business and my employees. I and we are all far from perfect.

Thanks for the comments from everyone. As tough as it is, and it is very tough on Paul, we want to know how people are feeling. If anyone would like to speak to me, please call me, especially losp on 03 9687 0061 and just ask for John. This applies to anyone and any issue in the future too.

I have spoken with Paul (Riggers) who has read through the thread and initially the action taken is going to be in two parts:

The dont go on the internet comment and attitude is out of line and that has been spoken about.

The Grumpy Old Man thing will be toned down.

Beyond that Im not going to conduct a public performance appraisal.

As Ferg says Paul has done more for home brewing than most people over nearly 20 years. Judging, officiating in his brewing club and at state level, going to club members and customers houses to help with their brewing or systems. It also should be said that Paul is well aware of his own personality and cops ang gives a fair bit of good natured banter both from customers and employees so feel free to have some fun.

Thanks for all of the positive comments although it must be costing Chris a fortune bribing all of you guys.

Cheers

John

This response has impressed me greatly. I will now be directing more of my business to G&G. Well done for responding to comments in such a straightforward manner.

I feel like a bit of a mongrel for complaining on a public forum when I could have done what Manticle did and contacted G&G directly if I had a problem...

Mods:

Please lock\close this thread again.

There's no need for it to continue.

I feel like a bit of a mongrel for complaining on a public forum when I could have done what Manticle did and contacted G&G directly if I had a problem...
But its totally human.

Anyway the issue closed (and so should the thread?) feel comfortable enough go to the man himself if you have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back