Let's see your fermentation chambers!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers. Thanks for the information, I am also tired of changing water bottles in my esky for my brew bucket fts system.

Finally got round to going big at home. 14 Gal Chronical, It's a thing of beauty.

unnamed.jpg

I have two fridges in use for brewing already.& I'm forced to use an insulated jacket cooled with ice bottles to control fermentation. Need a bigger house/garage obviously!

What size is your fridge? I have 2 brewbuckets but am hesitant to get a fridge as internal dimensions aren't readily provided. I've got my eye on a 243 L Hisense single door fridge that might be up to the job.

DCDB4453-7B8D-46C9-8D72-FD67824EE04C.jpeg

I picked it up on facebook marketplace for $150.
It’s about 1695mm tall 650mm D x 640mm W.
I took my measuring tape along to make sure that I could get 2 fermenters in it, before I had the brew buckets.

Hacked bar fridge, didn’t have to mess with chiller plate from freezer, everything just fits!
4F8DD2AD-992C-4159-95BD-0E213FF95AFA.jpeg

thread necromancy for this question, those of you that haven't drilled into your fridge to pass the wiring through... did you make any incision in the seal, or does the door just close over it okay?

thread necromancy for this question, those of you that haven't drilled into your fridge to pass the wiring through... did you make any incision in the seal, or does the door just close over it okay?

My fridge door just closes over the inkbird probe wire and my heating belt cable. The size of the gap is small and I don’t think it’s having a big impact on the overall temperature and efficiency.

What are the pros and cons of Plastic vs SS fermentation vessels. I'm temp controlling in Plastic at the moment

What are the pros and cons of Plastic vs SS fermentation vessels. I'm temp controlling in Plastic at the moment
SS fermenters are
  • Easier to clean
  • Sturdier and last longer
  • SS doesnt scratch as easy as plastic can.
  • SS doesnt end up with odours from hops etc like plastic does.
Only down side to SS fermenters is that they are more expensive initially (But will outlast buying 1-2 plastic fermenters a year)

Did a search, couldn't find any thread with a collection of peoples' fermentation chambers. Happy to be corrected and send this thread into the void.

I am keen to see what people have for fermenting and temperature control. I had a secondhand fridge for a couple of years, but that one just crapped out. So it's time to get a new one and i would love to see what everyone else is doing. Also keen to see if there is an option i haven't come across yet.

Anyway, here is mine before it died (barleywine up top, milk stout down bottom)...

m2naitI.jpg
Whats the light down the bottom for? heat?

Not the prettiest fermfridge around...
74319918_509774593206271_5787888625190436864_n.jpg

But it's what's on the inside that counts.
73022065_1438553302961151_3764421938819104768_n.jpg

25w reptile heat lamp does the job for the heating side.

This fridge is at least 25 years old, I can remember wayback when I needed to grab a chair from the dining room so I could pilfer coins from the change jar on top of the fridge.After this batch is done I will reward the old girl with a sand and coat of paint.

Not the prettiest fermfridge around...
View attachment 116788

But it's what's on the inside that counts.
View attachment 116789

25w reptile heat lamp does the job for the heating side.

This fridge is at least 25 years old, I can remember wayback when I needed to grab a chair from the dining room so I could pilfer coins from the change jar on top of the fridge.After this batch is done I will reward the old girl with a sand and coat of paint.
I like the pressure relief, is that a set pressure?

I am a new member/brewer starting straight in at the deep end with a BIAB system. I have just set up my Fermenter/Kegerator from information on this forum. The Fermenter chamber is a 70L esky with a simple chilled water exchanger and heat pad. The exchanger and lines are made from 13mm irrigation poly pipe. The Kegerator is a F&P 164L freezer. which holds the water resevoir and a submersible fountain pump to circulate the chilled water through the exchanger. Each unit is contolled by its own hard wired STC-1000. It is working exceptionally well. I ran all the lines and wiring through the top edge of the freezer where their is only insulation. To finish it off I am going to insulate the feed and return lines between the freezer and esky. Additionally I have decided to make the pump power lead. heat pad power lead, and water lines detachable for sevicing or quick removal. This only involves male and female power plugs and push on hose connectors.

Attachments

• K1.jpg
    K1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 120
  • K6.jpg
    K6.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 118
  • K7.jpg
    K7.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 118
  • K2.jpg
    K2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 120
  • K3.jpg
    K3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 115
  • K5.jpg
    K5.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 115
Lesson learned #1 temperature control during fermentation is critical!
My original set up was about having a small footprint and using a converted chest freezer and 70lt esky as a fermentation chamber. The Mk1 water cooled Fermenter Chamber pictured in the previous post could not handle the warmer weather. I did not understand the exothermic reaction during fermentation and had several runaway temperature excusions into the high twenties. Damm! Time for the Mk2 set up. I was lucky to pick up a free great working fridge on the kerb outside some units and fitted a STC1000. It has allowed me to use a PET fermenter and spunding valve inside the fridge which holds at a constant 18C & 5 PSI. The clear fermenter is great as I can watch the yeast activity and now have a better understanding of the importance of healthy yeast. The beer quality has improved to the next level. All was not lost on the previous set up as I sold 70lt esky and now use the circulation/fountain pump to run chilled water through my wort chiller coil. The space where the old chamber was is now used for storage.
MMF1.jpg
MMF2.jpg

Back