Let It Grow Or Throw?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah bread yeast is not a suitable replacement for proper brewers yeast (atleast with 0 temperature controls).

I haven't tipped it out need find somewhere to tip it out. I'll bottle a few for memories sake though ;)

Yeah I'll need a hydrometer once I start all grain.
Nah Python, get one NOW!

I've been using one since my first kit, and they're invaluable. (broken 2 while washing or dropping but you get that).

It lets you tell your alc content, and is the best way to tell if your beer has finished fermenting (by a stable reading over a few days).
For simplicity, jump on www.countrybrewer.com.au and download their alcohol reading spreadsheet. Nice and easy.

Just get a decent long one from a LHBS, and not the dodgy brewiser one from Kmart. That only goes up to 1040. Useless.

Post fermentation white spots are usually flocculate yeast cells that has clumped together or floated upwards from trapped CO2. If its not fuzzy and cottony/mycelium everywhere and after time spotted with colored dots on the cottony then then probability is its simply yeast clumps. Should have a photo handy for show, but seeing cottony-hairy is a good mold indicator. Brown spots are similar with oxidized hop resins mixed in.

I dont think there is a gallery here of them but if you need pics head over to HBT where lots of people upload photos what they thought at first was an infectded batch

Yeah they're not fuzzy. My hydrometer broke brew before last, didn't wash it, got stuck on the table and *snap*.

I have many things to buy :(

Just know that no known pathogen known to western science grows in fermenting wort. So you wont die or inflict horrible bodily injury to yourself by drinking fermented beer. Once that fear is dispelled you can get on with it. You can always bottle or rack off below the surface layer of whayever it is giving you worries. Even mold forms on top of the brine in fermented foods. That mold ends up being harmless. Same thing with cheese, another fermented food.

You are simply using a yeast strain which you dont know much about in a wort, how dense or not a cake it produces during flocculation, how much CO2, or alc. or optimal temperature range. You wont be apply the behaviours of another strain against the yeast you are using as its probably quite a different strain profile.

Latest posts

Back