Let It Grow Or Throw?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPython

Reaction score
So as you may or may not know, I did a toucan with bread yeast. Since I thought it was finished (by sight-no hydrometer) I took off the airlock and a few days later behold there are white spots on the surface.

The important question is could I die or get sick from drinking this?

I would err on the side of caution myself.

Last thing you want is to get sick from drinking your own beer.

Crundle

I would err on the side of caution myself.

Last thing you want is to get sick from drinking your own beer.

Crundle

This coming from a man who puts oysters in his beer :lol:

So as you may or may not know, I did a toucan with bread yeast. Since I thought it was finished (by sight-no hydrometer) I took off the airlock and a few days later behold there are white spots on the surface.

I read somewhere (I think on here) that if the beer is ok to drink then it will not kill you. If it burns your inside as you drink it;; ummm do not drink it.

QldKev

:rolleyes:

Screwy

As pilots say, any landing is a good landing, and if you can use the plane again, it is a great landing :D

KP,

The question to be asked is "what's it taste like". If it doesn't taste like beer
don't drink it.

If it tastes like beer, still don't drink it. B)

The ancient Egyptians probably used the same yeast for bread and beer, and look what
happened to them!

If you can drink it and it tastes ok then its fine to drink/keep if its hard to drink then get rid of it and why would you keep it anyway.

The main question is why did you use bread yeast ??????????????????????

The best way to check the water is to dip your toe in.

What's it smell like? What's your hydrometer reading doing? Is it looking like it's finished? Do a hydro sample look at it and sip a teeny bit from the hydrometer tube. If it tastes like shite in your mouth swishing it about then dump it and don't swallow, but check it out properly before tipping. If you're too scared to even put the stuff in your mouth then you've answered your own question.

Hopper.

The best way to check the water is to dip your toe in.

What's it smell like? What's your hydrometer reading doing? Is it looking like it's finished? Do a hydro sample look at it and sip a teeny bit from the hydrometer tube. If it tastes like shite in your mouth swishing it about then dump it and don't swallow, but check it out properly before tipping. If you're too scared to even put the stuff in your mouth then you've answered your own question.

Hopper.

Come on Hopper. You have to read [at least] the original posters question <_<

Hang on, you took out your airlock and a 'few' days later..

SO, your brew was not sealed for a few days? You took out your airlock and left for a few more days? yeah?

Hmm..

:blink:

Making bread or beer or pennicillan? you need to decide...

Come on Hopper. You have to read [at least] the original posters question <_<

Yup. Point taken mckenry. Speed readin' and a few beers in so missed the hydro point :D . But other points still stand - smell the stuff and see if it's skunked. Swish it in your mouth and decide if it's skunked. Do the sensory test and decide. Then make the call as to whether to tip your hard earned time and cash down the sink hole.

Cheers,

Hopper.

I think he is winding us up. Brewed with bread yeast, (why), and took out the airlock and waited a few days (why).
I am glad there are no kittens close by

So I threw it. Goodbye extract brewing!
Did you taste it first? I'm sure I've had white spots on my brew before. I'm still unsure why you'd take the airlock off?

In future get a hydrometer, and taste every sample. That's half the fun of this hobby.
Good to see how the brew progresses, and if it's drinkable or infected.

Yeah bread yeast is not a suitable replacement for proper brewers yeast (atleast with 0 temperature controls).

I haven't tipped it out need find somewhere to tip it out. I'll bottle a few for memories sake though ;)

Yeah I'll need a hydrometer once I start all grain.

Back