Lemonade Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furby83

Reaction score
Hey all,

i made a variation of P&C and Chappo's recipes.

15-20 lemons juiced (bought from shop no idea what type)
all juiced flesh and zest from half.

2.5kg brown sugar 4Kg Raw Sugar
500g Ironbark honey
500g lactose
champagne yeast

Boil 20lts say for 30mins

Add brown sugar 30 mins
Add lactose 15 mins
Add zest 5 mins
Add honey 5 mins

Added
Star Anise
Cloves
Cinnamon
Golden syrup

removed
Brown Sugar
Honey

Now the Questions.

on initial tasting it was Very light on Lemon taste, however i left it as is.
1. when racking would i be able to add a lemon juice with Sodium metabisulphite (223) in it or would that be bad for the flavor?

2. what is the best way to get the flesh from the lemons and remove the seeds? (was thinking freeze/fridge them cut up and scoop out)

3. depending on flavor I'm thinking of adding some sort of frozen fruit what type would be good? and how much for 22L?

when i rack it I'm going to filter it to remove any remaining solid matter and the majority of the yeast as my previous brews have been VERY heavy on yeast when bottled.
4. Is the yeast required in secondary?

TY in advance.

Bumpage for anyone.

does no one know or have an opinion.

I don't have much info on this. I tried it one but it was a big fat failure. Whatever you do don't add any of the pith. It will bitter the lemonade, and not in a good way. I think this was the problem with mine. I cut the lemons in half and boiled all the lemons up and mashed them to remove juice. Maybe just juice the lemons and remove as much pith as you can be bothered with =).

1. when racking would i be able to add a lemon juice with Sodium metabisulphite (223) in it or would that be bad for the flavor?

Sodium metabisulphite won't change the flavour unless its in the lemon juice at very high rates. e.g. 100ppm +

Don't be concerned about it, its the main preservative used in wine making .... it breaks down into SO2 which is what protects the wine/lemon juice etc.

As for secondary, there will be enough yeast in suspension in the liquid to take care of the rest of the ferment I would assume so you don't have to leave it on the yeast cake. if your worried take a little of the light fluffy stuff...its got the goodness in it, ignore the thick gluggy stuff.

Pok

i filtered it into my holding container (see: jerry can) to remove anything solid (spices, remaining pulp)
and then filtered it one the way back after washing out my 25L fermenter.

i added some more lemon juice (fresh) some zest, some pulp and some sugar.
boiled it in enough water to cover it. (nuked it for 10 minutes)

SG 1090
FG 1002+-

bottling nest weekend 14/11/10.

How much sugar should i add to a 2L bottle to carb?

Back