Lemonade Misstep

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinfathisar

Reaction score
So I put on a batch of Lemonade following the recipe religously (new brewer so being careful) and I totally forgot to add the lactose.
Is this a tragedy of epic proportions? Can I add it at the bottling stage instead?
Fermentation seems to be going ok at the moment.

Boil it up in a bit of water, let it cool and add it in now (or later). As it's unfermentable it's no big thing to add later - I like to add early to ciders to allow any flavour to integrate.

Hey Sin,

Lactose is a very subtle sweetner and doesn't cut the mustard for what I want it to do... but I do like a fair degree of sweetness in my ciders , lemonade et al.

50grams of splenda (and/or stevia) for a 21L batch works a treat for me and not a hint of artificial aftertaste but I too add early for flavour intergration like manticle above.

thanks for the advice guys - I will wait until fermentation is finished - I don't want to disturb it atm.

I see dragonfruit ale on your pipedream list Bong - does it actually have dragonfruit in it - if so ... the red skin with white flesh, the red skin with red flesh or the yellowskinned variety? cheers!

Hey sin,

The dragonfruit thing is really only for colour as the flavour is pretty subtle... I would go for the red flesh, the colour should be awesome and would just be added to a quafing ale in secondary. I actually brewed it and was ready to go last year but availability of fruit wasn't there when i really needed it... at least i had a keg of beer!

I am a cactus collector/grafter so I thought i would dick around with that as opposed to red colouring.

Cheers mate.

You brewed with cactus? Which one, prickly pear? Now that would be kind of interesting. What were your results?

Sorry for the :icon_offtopic: sin.

Dragonfruit is the Fruit of a cactus of genus Hylocereus. You usually see the species snaking up trees in older style gardens, thin and spindly. Those red/yellow cacti at bunnings are grafted onto it also, very vigorous. Cacti fruit are all prety much sweet cucumber with a fruity twist depending on variety/genus but all are mild in flavour.

I haven't done the full batch of dragonfruit ale yet due to seasonal availability and tardiness. I am working on other cacti beverages though but its a secret. Results so far is green snot!

Sorry for the :icon_offtopic: sin.

Dragonfruit is the Fruit of a cactus of genus Hylocereus. You usually see the species snaking up trees in older style gardens, thin and spindly. Those red/yellow cacti at bunnings are grafted onto it also, very vigorous. Cacti fruit are all prety much sweet cucumber with a fruity twist depending on variety/genus but all are mild in flavour.

I haven't done the full batch of dragonfruit ale yet due to seasonal availability and tardiness. I am working on other cacti beverages though but its a secret. Results so far is green snot!

Yar we grow both the red/red and the yellow pitaya and I had a glut of the reds last year :-(

green snot sounds not so yummy :icon_vomit:

Back