Leftovers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoohaaman

Reaction score
Why do people feel the need to "dispose of them in a brew" as opposed to build a brew around them,or even replace used stock.

If I am low on say spalt,I will not make a beer just to use it,but re-order more spalt.So I can use it as originally intended.

Adding bits and pieces of various ingredients,"as leftovers" to finish off a product just seems bizarre

dont knock it till you've tried it :p some of the best beers I've had are 'leftover' brews. Same with mongrel kegs... sometimes theyre not great, sometimes theyre awesome :)

Oh I understand spontaneous.See there you go,how are people getting mongrel kegs?Lack of space,lack of kegs?

I never have any leftovers to mix in another keg.

It's more from having too many kegs :p and from doing weird american 22.7L batches I think :p I was aiming for 23L for ages, fill a keg (19L) and say lose a L or 2 to trub, there was always a bit left I didnt have bottles ready for, so I'd just stick the litre or so into a spare keg that would sit in the corner of the room. Every time I'd have a batch with a bit too much in there, it'd go into that keg.

After a while (a year maybe) its full, it goes in the chesty too chill and carb :)

Now I just always have bottles on hand...

I always do 23-24L batches so I have some left over for my "frankenstein" keg. It's always a nice surprise when it is finally filled after 6 or 7 brews and you have a spare keg to drink that you didn't have to do a separate brew session for. The last one I did had a belgian, a hefe, a stout, a mild, an IPA and a few others and was everybody's favourite of the Snow tap list.

As for using "leftovers", it's pretty rare that I can't think of some style to fit a number of spare ingredients. Occasionally I might buy a new yeast to match them, but usually I have no problems putting together a pretty good brew without buying anything else.

Cheers - Snow

Why do people feel the need to "dispose of them in a brew" as opposed to build a brew around them,or even replace used stock.

If I am low on say spalt,I will not make a beer just to use it,but re-order more spalt.So I can use it as originally intended.

Adding bits and pieces of various ingredients,"as leftovers" to finish off a product just seems bizarre
not everyone has enough disposable income to spend on brewing when they like (ie they dont have $ just to buy more spalt).

They may find themselves understocked when it comes to brew day, or they get an unexpected slot of time to brew only to find out they dont really have enough for a specific recipe

or they may order but it doesnt arrive (or wont arrive) in time.

fairly easy to see why IMO.

oh and mongrel kegs rock :super:

Latest posts

Back