Leftover Runnings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackapple

Reaction score
After completing my first AG I was left with about 3 litres which I pasturised then put into a sanitised 3ltr juice bottle.
I figure I will be able to use this as a wort base for an extract brew at a later date.

Thing is, I know I won't get around to it for a while so I threw it in the freezer once it cooled down, figuring it will last longer?

Anyone done anything like this? Am I on the right track with freezing for an extended period?

Cheers

When you talk about "runnings" are you talking about what's left in the MT after you have reached 1.010 or thereabouts??
If you are then be aware that with any runnings under 1.010 would be too astringent to be of any use. Sounds like you are using too much sparge liquor here if that is the case?
If you're not then a more detailed post would help to get an answer to your problem.

TP

I think he means post boil (assuming that anyway).

Nothing wrong with reserving the last bit of wort - a lot of people do (including myself) and use for starters. I have previously frozen such liquid with no ill effects.

However I would recommend leaving it overnight in the fridge and allowing the break material etc to settle out.

What I then do is decant, reboil (in an erlenmeyer), cover and chill.

I think TP is right, 3 litres is quite a bit to have left over out of the tun. You should probably re calculate your system loss values as it's your first batch it's not a huge issue. I usually collect a litre or so of dribble from the tun after I've run my desired volume into the kettle, it's part of my loss to grain and tun deadspace (I batch sparge). I often freeze it and then use it for my yeast starters.

Cheers

Grant

No it was from the mash tun.
Ad I am not fully set up yet, I wanted to no chill and only had a 15ltr cube from a FWK so I only collected 18ltr from the mash tun, and only did a small sparge, consequently I was left with 3ltr at a reasonably high gravity 1040.
Still lots to learn about the process but as I have this leftover I am keen to use.

I often reserve my extra wort (pre-boil) and boil it down on the stovetop till its a thick liquid, and then use it as a topping for ice-cream. It's tasty, especially if from a dark beer.

as it at 1040 you could reboil the wort to sanitize and use it for a yeast starter.

as it at 1040 you could reboil the wort to sanitize and use it for a yeast starter.

Yep. I don't have any leftover liquid on brewday, but if I were you, I'd use it for a starter too. 1.040 is pretty much bang on the mark for the perfect starter.

I usually filter my kettle trub through some voile, let it settle and then freeze it.

Good for starters, or for chucking into a very similar beer that's boiling.

After completing my first AG I was left with about 3 litres which I pasturised then put into a sanitised 3ltr juice bottle.
I figure I will be able to use this as a wort base for an extract brew at a later date.
Thing is, I know I won't get around to it for a while so I threw it in the freezer once it cooled down, figuring it will last longer?
Anyone done anything like this? Am I on the right track with freezing for an extended period?
Cheers
I've done this recently with about 6L of mash left-behinds from a triple batch
of Leffe Radieuse Raven19 and I did back in Easter - boiled it at home (~1.040)
before freezing it in two tupperware containers.

The one big mistake I've discovered is I basically filled the containers right up to
the brim and what seems to happen is the sugars seem to separate from the ice
after a couple of weeks and get expelled out of the containers and slowly flow
down to the freezer floor - messy!

I presume your juice bottle is plastic? Better not use glass - and suggest you leave
a fair bit of head space and squeeze some of the air out of it before it is frozen
- when it freezes, it's going to expand the bottle.

As for what to do with my frozen wort, I'm thinking I could throw a Coopers kit
can at it and maybe make something tasty.

T.

Collect.boil.cool.in 1.25lcoke bottle. Fridge. Boil again and use for starter. I with the doubling of the boiling I get a gravity of about 1.035-40 which is perfect.

Latest posts

Back