Left grain bag in, brought to boil.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambo

Reaction score
Hi all

Hoping someone can tell me if its worth continuing with this brew...

Making an Alt today (BIAB). Mashing at 65deg for 90 min, with about 30 mins to go in the mash I had lost about 1.5 degrees so I turned the urn on and stirred until I got back up to 65deg.....
but didn't turn the urn off....
and only realised when I went to mash out.

Happy to continue with the brew, so long as I know I haven't introduced lots of off flavours.

I'd keep going with it, I think you've done an in-mash decoction.
Be interesting for you to report on the result once it's ready to drink.

Mmm, might as well carry on, and see what it turns out like :-/

Cheers guys!
That was my thought too... though I thought I had heard of getting astringency from grains getting too hot.
It is the second time I've made this recipe so hopefully can report any differences.

So you mashed for 60 mins then basically mashed out and decocted the lot for a bit under 30?
With an alt?
Probably an accidental benefit. I'd be fermenting and maturing before making any drastic decisions but I reckon it should be sweet.

1007, fermented cool, month lagering?

Yes, yes, yes and yes.
1007 just removed from the fridge in readiness for the stir plate.

Cheers!

Rambo said:
Cheers guys!
That was my thought too... though I thought I had heard of getting astringency from grains getting too hot.
It is the second time I've made this recipe so hopefully can report any differences.
Well, you boil grain when doing a decoction, and decocoted beers don't necessarily have astringency issues. From memory, pH plays a major role in tannin extraction (leading to astringency). So a hot, long sparge can be bad because the pH rises too much. I think you'll be fine. But keep us updated. :)

I would like to try this beer! Very interested to know how it turns out, this could be the beginning of a new trend - BIABoction mashing?

I did this recently with an Amber Ale BIAB. Put the gas back on and headed out to grab a few things from the LHBS, leaving a mate in charge. He called me 15 minutes later saying the temp is at 85. He swtiched off the gas and stirred in some cool water.

We pulled the bag and had burnt a hole in the bottom. We continued with the boil and chilled to 40. Pitched the next morning and nothing happened. Left it for a few days with no action so it got thrown out :(

Sounds like you had better luck than me.

So an update for you all...

It tastes pretty bloody good. Couldn't say if it tastes any better than the last time I brewed it cause that was a while ago. But it definitely isn't worse.

Did finish at 1.015 instead of the expected 1.013 and the head retention isn't very good. So isn't a mistake I'll repeat on purpose.

Heading to the German Club on Saturday night so hopefully they have Schlosser Alt on tap to give me a benchmark.

Latest posts

Back