Leffe Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be brewing this, this Saturday coming, I can't wait. :D

Looks like a great recipe. But I would expect no less for such a nice beer.
I'm doing it next week. If only we could swap some bottles!! Will you post your results and what yeast are you going to use?

Stupid question: what is the beer style the a Leffe Blonde comes under? Belgian Ale? Or is it more specific than that?

EDIT: Sorry - just answered my own question : Belgian Strong Ale --> Belgian Blond Ale

So a Leffe Blonde needs to be 6%?

I'm doing it next week. If only we could swap some bottles!! Will you post your results and what yeast are you going to use?
If only...
Yeah, I am using the Wyeast 1762 as the recipe suggests. This will be my first time trying any of the Belgian beers so I thought I would try not to deviate from the recipe. Where my creativity has gone I do not know. :lol:

So a Leffe Blonde needs to be 6%?
Well considering we are trying to clone the commercial leffe which is just over 6.5% anything between 6 & 7% would be classed as a succes in my eyes, allthough 7% is getting quite strong. :eek:

I am keen as to do a single batch off a leffe clone, Have we made any changes to this recipe and what yeast was most suited to the original any bit of help on this clone will be most appreciated .

cheers sav.

I am keen as to do a single batch off a leffe clone, Have we made any changes to this recipe and what yeast was most suited to the original any bit of help on this clone will be most appreciated .

cheers sav.

Any 1 out there .

I have substituted original substitutes for the dingermans grain,I always make a double batch and split half to 1762 and half to 3787.Just what I like doing.

This recipe I have kegged or brewing at all times;)

Does that ease the choice?

would love to give it a go, but alas, i have not progressed to that advanced stage and have no idea what the shit you are talking about.

1762 yeast is supposed to be the correct yeast for this beer, but I'm not getting that Leffe taste.

Are we sure that 1762 is the Leffe yeast?

1762 yeast is supposed to be the correct yeast for this beer, but I'm not getting that Leffe taste.

Are we sure that 1762 is the Leffe yeast?

1762 is the rochefort yeast to my understanding...

so im not an all grainer yet but with all the hype about this beer i realy wanna try one. anyone got any ideas about an extract or small partial? thinking it would have to be a huge pale malt bill and maybe some caramunich and or pills? mild bittering with english noble hops? and a nice clean yeast, as used in ag recipe.

cheers guys

so im not an all grainer yet but with all the hype about this beer i realy wanna try one. anyone got any ideas about an extract or small partial? thinking it would have to be a huge pale malt bill and maybe some caramunich and or pills? mild bittering with english noble hops? and a nice clean yeast, as used in ag recipe.

cheers guys
Saaz and styrian aren't English Nobel hops. Stick with them rather than elglish hops. . Also Belgian Abby isn't exactly clean. U want the yeast to kick off some flavours.

If ur doing extract, yeah pale or extra pale with spec grains as per OP or u could use a tin of mogans caraamalt or similar. Won't be the same but....

ok guys so in the coming weeks im going to break my partial cherry and have a go at doing a modded version of this. have looked into a leffe extract recipe but it seems the ag version is where the goods are
looking at a tin of pale, and then baib in a 10 ltr(11.5 actually) pot for the rest(also have access to a 5ltr pot i normally use for steeping)
so somthing along the lines of
3kg pilsner malt
.45 kg Munich Malt
.15 kg Caraamber
.10 kg Melanoidin Malt
.30kg Cane sugar

hops and yeast as per normal recipe

recipe looks about right?

these may be nubish questions but nontheless im going to ask

1. ill have the grains milled by supplier but the carraamber is a steep grain so should this only be cracked?
2. do i steep caraamber seperate to rest?
3. what temp am i looking to mash at and for how long(assuming mashing is just prolonged steeping of crushed grain rather than cracked for steep, from research conducted this is the conclusion ive come to)?
4. do i dump the grain sock into a bucket of warm water to sparge out some more sugars?(i am assuming yes but like i said, i ask nonetheless)
5. ferment temps? have tempmate setup so temps no longer an issue. im assuming its closer to lager temps for this style?
6. EDIT: sorry, also what brand of pilsner malt? there are quite a few available from craft brewer

i know further research and hours of reading could quite possible lead me to answers but from the search results im getting atm there is too much info to pick through and i still realy dont know what im looking for. ao again i apologize for the what may seem like silly questions.

cheers guys

these may be nubish questions but nontheless im going to ask

1. ill have the grains milled by supplier but the carraamber is a steep grain so should this only be cracked?
2. do i steep caraamber seperate to rest?
3. what temp am i looking to mash at and for how long(assuming mashing is just prolonged steeping of crushed grain rather than cracked for steep, from research conducted this is the conclusion ive come to)?
4. do i dump the grain sock into a bucket of warm water to sparge out some more sugars?(i am assuming yes but like i said, i ask nonetheless)
5. ferment temps? have tempmate setup so temps no longer an issue. im assuming its closer to lager temps for this style?
6. EDIT: sorry, also what brand of pilsner malt? there are quite a few available from craft brewer

i know further research and hours of reading could quite possible lead me to answers but from the search results im getting atm there is too much info to pick through and i still realy dont know what im looking for. ao again i apologize for the what may seem like silly questions.

cheers guys

1. Milled = Cracked or Crushed or what ever you wanna call it, so no, all the same thing - Ross will sort it!
2. No, chuck it all in together, mashing is sort of like a controlled steep... so if you are soaking grain at the right temp anyway - all in together!
3. Anything from 64-67 depending on what kind of beer but for your first, ANYWHERE in that range will be fine - How long? At least an hour, but an hour is fine.. Try and maintain temp best you can.. wrap in towel/blanket etc... And yes, your research seems correct.
4. You can 'teabag' away if you dandy,, can't hurt - just do a brew or 2 to understand what you are actually doing by mashing grain.
5. I assume it is a lager, so if you can control ferment to lager temps and have the patience for true lagering than go nuts!
6. Malts do vary a lot but for your first mash, if its grain it will be better than not grain so, if it was me, JW is fine... its only a base malt - don't stress it!

BTW: The yeast is 3787 - don't tell anyone.

2c.

BTW: The yeast is 3787 - don't tell anyone.

The young fella at Craftbrewer told me 1762 was the Leffe Blonde yeast. After 4 attempts ... I don't think it is - there's squat esters and phenolics even fermented high. I will now stop tweaking the recipe in futility! I swore I would have got closer to Leffe Blonde using WB06.

Thanks for that info - the blurb for 3787 sound much more like it. More like a weizen yeast.

cheers cocko muchly appreciated

just running through the math i might need to do 2 tins of pale and more like a kg of pilsner and the rest of the malts. i dont think my 11.5 pot will mash close to 4kg of grain will it?

and re: 3787 ta for heads up. reading into it a little it says that phenol and esters are dependant on ferment temp and recommended tems are 18-25. as i said earlier i would have thought this style would call for lager temps. but anyway where abouts on this scale should i aim for? im assuming higher would produce more fruity esters but yeah not too sure

cheers again

Hi Theredone,

Regarding temps, for this style of beer I would start at 18deg and raise the temp 1deg a day up to 25degC.

Cheers SJ

I have have this in primary right now - first BIAB for me. I used some saved Trappist Hugh Grav yeast saved from my belgian strong that I had brewed. OG was 1065 and it had come down to 1020 after 4 days. It motored along at about 22deg and has slowed considerably now

I was going to rack it across to secondary after a week in total. Does that sound like a good plan?? Just worried that I might get some undesirable flavours if I leave it on that yeast trub.

Cheers,

Leave it alone and let the yeast do it's job properly.
You will not get off flavours after 1 week.

Regards

Graeme

Last attempt I did I left for 4 weeks in primary & just bottled from there & all was good

Latest posts

Back