Leffe Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've currently got two fermenters chugging along(@22deg) on this beautiful blond, as I was really interested in how using a really estery yeast like the chimay yeast vs a more spicey yeast like the Hoegaarden one would turn out.

samples of each taken yesterday

Currently the one using the Chimay tastes like Bubblegum :).

The other it is too early to tell, although kinda tastes honey-ish, maybe I should raise the temp of the Hoegaarden in the next few days, to get a bit more character into it.

Q

I bottled my version of this fermented with the Leuven yeast on Friday. OG was 1066 and FG was 1006 an amazing 90% apparent attenuation :) .

How are the other efforts coming out?

And Les, I have one put away for you mate.

C&B
TDA

I bottled my version of this fermented with the Leuven yeast on Friday. OG was 1066 and FG was 1006 an amazing 90% apparent attenuation :) .

C&B
TDA

Hah, I'm just drinking my version, using the Hoegaarden yeast and it's pretty incredible. Quite spicey, but very drinkable. I fermented the other half with the chimay yeast, tastes mildly like bubble-o-bill's bubble gum nose, very estery, Interesting but probably wouldn't use it for this again.
3522 or 1762 are probably good choices.
I used a low mash temp, and its turned out very dry, as much as I prefer dryer beers, would probably venture up to 66-67 next time.

BTW love the leuven yeast, a mate just picked up the schelde yeast, which might be interesting to try. Anyone used it.

Quintrex

Hah, I'm just drinking my version, using the Hoegaarden yeast and it's pretty incredible. Quite spicey, but very drinkable. I fermented the other half with the chimay yeast, tastes mildly like bubble-o-bill's bubble gum nose, very estery, Interesting but probably wouldn't use it for this again.
3522 or 1762 are probably good choices.
I used a low mash temp, and its turned out very dry, as much as I prefer dryer beers, would probably venture up to 66-67 next time.

BTW love the leuven yeast, a mate just picked up the schelde yeast, which might be interesting to try. Anyone used it.

Quintrex

That's great to hear Quintrex. Have to admit that the Leuven has become a favourite for me as well, leaves a great malt profile in a dry beer and some nice phenols as well.
I have the Schelde yeast smackpack sitting in the fridge ready to use on a De Konick style pale ale. IIRC neonmeate has used this yeast a bit and if you do a search for De Konick you should find some info.

C&B
TDA

C&B
TDA

Hey TDA,

How long to you intend to condition this brew?

Thanks,
Michael :)

That's great to hear Quintrex. Have to admit that the Leuven has become a favourite for me as well

Yep, fantastic yeast... Trust bloody Wyeast to pull it from the shelves though. :(

Fingers crossed they have the foresight to bring it back.

Warren -

Hey TDA,

How long to you intend to condition this brew?

Thanks,
Michael :)
Gidday Michael,

It's been conditioned for 8 weeks and only this long because I have had plenty of stock to get through. 3 weeks would have been fine as it tasted pretty nice out of the secondary at that time. I bottled half of this batch and plan to put the remainder into an 11 litre keg.
Try it with the Wyeast 1762 if you can't get the Leuven yeast.

C&B
TDA

Yep, fantastic yeast... Trust bloody Wyeast to pull it from the shelves though. :(

Fingers crossed they have the foresight to bring it back.

Warren -
Might have to send them an email Warren and threaten a boycott of there products if it doesn't come back as a VSS :ph34r: Or we could ask nicely :)

C&B
TDA

Might have to send them an email Warren and threaten a boycott of there products if it doesn't come back as a VSS :ph34r: Or we could ask nicely :)

C&B
TDA

From memory didn't they just make it a 'seasonal' release?

Q

Hey melbourne guys
Was wondering if theres any interest in making up the same blonde base wort, and all using different yeasts(belgian)? Then meeting up to swap, i guess similar in style to a standard case swap.

I'd be interesting to taste the difference in flavour from the yeasts, and pick up a nice selection of yeasts if your into yeast culturing.
I know from the two different strains I've used so far, they're worlds apart!!!

Q

C&B
TDA
Very kind of you, TDA.

I better get my Unibroue yeast firing and produce one of these fine ales soon.

Too many beers and too little time. Prob won't get to make a Winter warmer unless I do it soon, and there's a list of beers wanting to put a little magic in my brewhouse, including a POL Vienna lager and a Steam beer in no-chill jerry's.

Thanks TDA. A large bottle of Unibroue-y blonde ale will be your reward.

Beerz
Seth :p

Interesting topic.

I noticed that someone has tried the Chimay yeast, but isn't that just a bottling yeast?

Matt

Interesting topic.

I noticed that someone has tried the Chimay yeast, but isn't that just a bottling yeast?

I would like to clarify on this as someone has told me (I'm green when it comes to this subject) that they filter the beer once fermented and add a bottling yeast as to not give away their secrets.

Matt

Interesting topic.

I would like to clarify on this as someone has told me (I'm green when it comes to this subject) that they filter the beer once fermented and add a bottling yeast as to not give away their secrets.

Matt

It's not to "not give away secrets". When brewing such a high gravity beer that has been lagered & filtered, it is preferable to an appropriate amount of fresh yeast for bottle conditioning.

WYeast 1214 is supposedly the Chimay strain.

Just in case someone searches this thread in the future, I am linking to my post in the "What are you Brewing II" thread, as I'm brewing this beer (TDA's recipe) today.
I'll be working with the Unibroue (Canadian/Belgian) yeast from Wyeast - W3864.

A bottle is to be saved for TDA, for yeast/flavour comparison and evaluation.

Les :icon_cheers:

Just in case someone searches this thread in the future, I am linking to my post in the "What are you Brewing II" thread, as I'm brewing this beer (TDA's recipe) today.
I'll be working with the Unibroue (Canadian/Belgian) yeast from Wyeast - W3864.

A bottle is to be saved for TDA, for yeast/flavour comparison and evaluation.

Les :icon_cheers:
Ah, thanks for the reminder Les. My memory aint what it used to be. :lol:

Keen to hear how it works out with the Unibroue yeast.

C&B
TDA

And a bottle as well for you TDA once it's ready.

I plan to brew this weekend based on your receipe and will be using 1388 (or 3522?) thanks to the lack of yeast supply in the far north.

Cheers.

I brewed this in December 08, it was my 3rd AG. I no chilled it and fermented it as per the recipe, 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in secondary - and it turned out the brightest beer I have made (made 16 beers so far). I am definately going to be adopting a similar fermenting schedule for my next beers. How ever, I didn't drink any of the beers until 3 months in the bottle (was hoping to wait until 6, but hey I couldn't wait that long after trying one). I am down to my last bottle :(

It is a very lovely beer and will be brewed again - thinking of doing a double batch and get them both fermenting at the same time when it gets cool enough here in adelaide.

For all of those new AGers umming and arring about what recipe to do, this is a great one to get started on if you want to go down the belgian path.

From creating this recipe, TDA has my respect as a top brewer and hold his other recipies now in the same esteem.

Cheers
Phil

I'm going to be brewing this, this Saturday coming, I can't wait. :D

Looks like a great recipe. But I would expect no less for such a nice beer.

Back