Learning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pist n broke

Reaction score
howdy... Trying to learn how to make better beer... I have 3 attempts and all of them have failed... The carbonation is what is failing...

Not enough carbonation ? Too much ? need a bit more info .

Kegged? Bottled? How? Recipe? Carbonation method?

There’s loads here who will help but give us more than ‘why is my piece of string so long’?

When I started brewing and packaging in bottles I used one teaspoon of sugar in each 500 ml bottle . When I bulk primed I use dextrose and weigh it . Carbonation depends on the style of beer and what you like eg high carbonation or lower carbonation like Manticle does . I like to use around 130 - 140 gms of dextrose for my pales ( bulk priming : tip in your priming sugar into some water and boil lt cool a lttle tip it into a sanitised fermenter and gently pour the beer into the sanitised fermnter and package from there) .

I bought mangrove jack tins and followed the instructions and after a week and ft was about 990 i bottles it in 750 ml glass bottles with flip latch lock lids (recommended by brew shop) and dropped 3 carb tablets in.... Waited for 2 weeks then in the fridge for few days and four. Thr beer to be clear and taste was not bad but carbonation was terrible.., tasted flat after about 1 minute.

Does it pour foamy? Might need a lower temp in the fridge.
I also generally leave any bottled beer I brew for at least a month before drinking which may or may not make a difference to carbonation.
Make sure your beer is protected from light and high/low temps as well.

. Waited for 2 weeks
Were you able to keep a stable temperature after bottling, any sudden drop?
Also the new bottles may have still had some factory gunk that required a really good clean. But I'm guessing you did that.
A lot of people here recommend aerating the wort or at least giving it a vigorous stir before pitching the yeast for a healthy fermentation.

I bought mangrove jack tins and followed the instructions and after a week and ft was about 990 i bottles it in 750 ml glass bottles with flip latch lock lids (recommended by brew shop) and dropped 3 carb tablets in.... Waited for 2 weeks then in the fridge for few days and four. Thr beer to be clear and taste was not bad but carbonation was terrible.., tasted flat after about 1 minute.
Check that lids have sealed properly.
How warm during those 2 weeks before the fridge?

Take a couple out, put somewhere warm (room temp) for another week or so.

3 drops is a lot. Are your positive fermentation was well and truly complete?

Does it pour foamy? Might need a lower temp in the fridge.
I also generally leave any bottled beer I brew for at least a month before drinking which may or may not make a difference to carbonation.
Make sure your beer is protected from light and high/low temps as well.

Protect from low temps? In what sense?

Sorry mate I wrote that after a 14 hr shift haha, I meant low temps during conditioning so the yeast is able to consume the priming sugar for carbonation.
Admittedly at this time of year low temps probably aren't the problem.

Last edited:
As manticle mention, 3 carb tablets is a lot when 2 is recommended for 750ml bottles. Did you get a loud pop when you opened a bottle? If not then my first check would be the seals however for everyone to be faulty would be strange.

Sorry mate I wrote that after a 14 hr shift haha, I meant low temps during conditioning so the yeast is able to consume the priming sugar for carbonation.
Admittedly at this time of year low temps probably aren't the problem.

Gotcha

As mentioned, with 3 carb drops, it's almost certainly over carbed. Sounds strange that over carbing can result in flat beer but if you're getting a lot of foam (head) in the glass it will often result in flatter beer. A bit like shaking the shit out of a stubbie, opening it immediately, watching it foam up and drinking it.

Yes, overcarbed will always result in flat beer as the CO2 rushes out and gives more head than beer. The ideal sound when cracking a fresh bottle should be just a small fshhh sound with no frothing in the bottle. I use Gyle to carbonate my bottled beer, Beer Smith has a link to a useful self populating spreadsheet that will give correct volumes of beer to CO2 volumes to volume of gyle required.

Latest posts

Back