Learning Thai Food - The Authentic Experience

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
Hi.

One of the best green curries i ever had was cooked by Anji! (in the attached brochure)

If you love thai food, you're going to Bangkok and can spare half a day, then i really recomend this experience. For about 800 baht (less than $30) Anji or Pooh will pick you up at your hotel, take you shopping at Klong Toey market for fresh ingredients, then take you back to their place and show you how to cook it.

View attachment Helping_Hands_cooking_classes_Sept_2009.pdf

And the good thing is, that this is two honest women from a poor community. I work for world vision, and these two women came up with this idea as part of an income generation project. Hope i haven't breached the site's guidelines by promoting two women with initiative.

Brett

might have been an idea to flick the mods/admin a PM to clear it with them out of courtesy.

that being said this is a great idea. im fairly sure there's a lot of AHB members who go to thialand and would take up the opportunity. Hell even if there are refugees or new immagrants in melbourne i recon you could easily get people to pay $30 to learn to cook a few dishes from people. i know i would

While I didn't experience this course I can't speak highly enough of doing a cooking course in Thailand.
My wife and I did one in Chang Mai and it was brilliant.
Shopping at the markets with the great variety of fruit and food.
We cooked some fantastic dishes all with such great fresh flavours and taste.
Had an enormous meal at the end AND got take away containers for the train trip south.

Plus ours had a cookbook which I still reference to make pastes etc.

My favourite was finding out the combination of sauces to make chicken with cashew nuts that tastes like I get from restaraunts and places there...
Still one of my top 5 thai dishes, and I don't care how pure and authentic it may or may not be.

I did a half day Khmer cooking course in Siem Riep, Cambodia (the big town right next to the temples of Angkor). It was Awesome! Khmer food is kinda like a cross between Thai and Vietnamese with a French influence ie: They use cheese and bread in some of their dishes - from being a former French colony. Unfortunately I lost all of my notes that i took, but it was still a great experience.

The Fish Amok is still to this day the best fish curry I have ever had in my life. recipe here: http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Amok_Fish

If you are going to Thailand already and are interested in Thai cooking, these courses sound great.

If you are stuck in Australia without the opportunity of going to Thailand, beg, borrow or steal "aharn thai" or to give it its
Aussie title, "thai food".

This is a book written by an Aussie (David Thompson) who has owned some of the best Thai restaurants in Australia. When he
published this book in 2002, he was retained as a consultant with "the prestigious Suan Dusit College in Bangkok" to ensure
the preservation of Thai culinary heritage.

It's the thick, pink recipe book at your favourite bookshop that gives you some change out of $100. Worth every penny (baht!)

You can read it like a novel.

Cheers,
smudge

If you are going to Thailand already and are interested in Thai cooking, these courses sound great.

If you are stuck in Australia without the opportunity of going to Thailand, beg, borrow or steal "aharn thai" or to give it its
Aussie title, "thai food".

This is a book written by an Aussie (David Thompson) who has owned some of the best Thai restaurants in Australia. When he
published this book in 2002, he was retained as a consultant with "the prestigious Suan Dusit College in Bangkok" to ensure
the preservation of Thai culinary heritage.

It's the thick, pink recipe book at your favourite bookshop that gives you some change out of $100. Worth every penny (baht!)

You can read it like a novel.

Cheers,
smudge

Great book this one.
I heard he has a new one coming out called, or about, Thai Street Food.

Back