Leaking Pressure Relief Valve, No Gas After 3 Months..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clean brewer

Obsessed Home Brewer
Reaction score
As they say, gotta learn by your mistakes... :angry:

So, for the last 3 months ive noticed my gas bottle going down quite quickly, did the right thing once I really noticed it and got a spray bottle with detergent/water and checked everything for leaks, couldnt come across anything..

Thought it may of been the gas I was using to clean/sanitise etc or by turning the gas on when I wanted a beer and venting the excess pressure..

Yes maybe i was using a little to clean etc but surely not that much? Finally realised that I didnt need to always turn the gas on to pour a beer(with bronco tap), so sorted that out and surely that wouldnt use much either(70kpa)..

And then the d--khead(me) found tonight what the issue was that I didnt spray detergent on, THE F--KING pressure relief valve on a keg is leaking, this keg has been in constant use for the last 3 months.. So yeh, pissed off with that one.. :angry:

Oh well, off for a fill tomoz and will thoroughly be checking every keg, fitting etc.. Shit, a keg is $60 to buy and a pressure relief valve is $13, oh well, they prob have been in there since new and who knows how much use/abuse they have had..

Anyhow, new keggers, check everything..

Cheers

CB - Great (un-educated) minds think alike! :lol: I replaced the seals on my kegs tonight, and found the same issue on one, it was 'whistling' till I pushed it down firmly.

Gotta love being a newbie to this kegging caper...

And if ever doubting moving to kegs... just remember how much easier it is with no bottles needing to be washed!!! Yeah!!!! ;)

Well, home from work and it is very hard to pour a beer with NO GAS.. :angry:

Was able to pour 1, so excited.. :super:

Then, a keg I dry hopped in was blocked, and then it unblocked and beer is shooting out(must be under alot of pressure), beers for a while now tonight.. :beerbang:

So easy to happen. Cleaned and filled one of my regular kegs and gassed up, stuck head in fridge as I always do due to being paranoid about gas leaks and heard leak. Traced to pressure relief valve and swapped with valve on one of spare kegs. Lucky find. I would have found after a day or two as I sit my gas bottle on a set of bathroom scales and check weight on a regular basis.

Cheers
Ian

So easy to happen. Cleaned and filled one of my regular kegs and gassed up, stuck head in fridge as I always do due to being paranoid about gas leaks and heard leak. Traced to pressure relief valve and swapped with valve on one of spare kegs. Lucky find. I would have found after a day or two as I sit my gas bottle on a set of bathroom scales and check weight on a regular basis.

Cheers
Ian

I have a lid that has a defect in the seat for the relief valve. I put a dab of keg lube on it and left it alone and so far so good.

This is why none of my kegs have relief valves. Just blank them off as there is no need for them.

This is why none of my kegs have relief valves. Just blank them off as there is no need for them.

Hate to ask the obvious, but what if you want to vent pressure from your keg? Do you remove the gas disconnect and push the gas pin in with a pen or something?

Do you remove the gas disconnect and push the gas pin in with a pen or something?

How about inverting the keg and opening the beer tap? At least if beer comes out, it is meant to be there anyway and there is less extra seals to clean than getting beer into the "gas in" tank plug too.

Back