Leaking Fitting.. Help?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebo

Reaction score
Scored a free water filter and faucet which I plan to use for my brewing water but am having problems hooking it up.
Spent a while today at bunnings trying to find a number of fitting to get what I had connected to the tap the dishwasher was hooked up to.
Ended up with 20mm t piece, 20mm to 15mm thread and 20mm to 20mm thread.

Problem is it appears to be leaking at the 20mm to 20mm thread that the dishwasher screws into (on the t piece side).
I used plumbers tape and did it up fairly tight but it has drops appearing and I am not sure how to fix it.. any ideas?

Here is a photo to hopefully make things clearer
leak.jpg

Scored a free water filter and faucet which I plan to use for my brewing water but am having problems hooking it up.
Spent a while today at bunnings trying to find a number of fitting to get what I had connected to the tap the dishwasher was hooked up to.

Problem is it appears to be leaking at the 20mm to 20mm thread that the dishwasher screws into (on the t piece side).
I used plumbers tape and did it up fairly tight but it has drops appearing and I am not sure how to fix it.. any ideas?

View attachment 52650

Throw away the plumbers's tape and go get some Loctite 567 or 577, assuming that the joint is metal to metal. From the picture, it appears to be. Both types are certified for potable water systems and will seal to the burst pressure of the pipe.

Throw away the plumbers's tape and go get some Loctite 567 or 577, assuming that the joint is metal to metal. From the picture, it appears to be. Both types are certified for potable water systems and will seal to the burst pressure of the pipe.

Thanks for the tip, is this something bunnings would have?

Thanks for the tip, is this something bunnings would have?

They should have it. Finding it in the shop, or finding a staff member who knows what it is might be another matter. Most industrial supply places will have it on the shelf though.

View attachment 52650
Deebo from the look of your picture it seems to be leaking where the nipple is screwed into the tee,PITA but unscrew it re tape it (use gas tape its yellow and thicker,not sure if the green shed has it,try plumbing wholesaler) remember to to put the tape on against the thread so when you screw it together the tape works against the thread not turning with it!!hope this helps
glenn

how is the copper pipe joined to the bottom of the "tap"

not your leaking fitting but the bottom bit of the "tap" to the left of it ?
is it just brazed into the tap where a fitting should be? It just looks wrong?

how is the copper pipe joined to the bottom of the "tap"

Have no idea about that, looked kinda weird to me also (was like that when we got the house).

I redid the tape a bit thicker and it seems to be holding for now, will just keep a bit of an eye on it I guess untill I get a chance to find the products suggested.

Back