Lcpa Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am trying to track down a good extract recipe for a LCPA Clone. I have tried using the search function but can only find the recipes for AG.

If anyone has a recipe that they have used to success I would love to see it! Or if you can point me in the right direction with a link that would also be appreciated.

Cheers!

Camo

this is one of the best beers Ive made. I do a 5L boil so the .19 DME goes in with the wort from the steeped carared to make up 5L at 1040 boil gravitu. 1kg of dex is actually 1kg of BE2. I ferment 14 days in primary 19C, [CC last couple days] then rack straight to keg. Notice it's for 50L. Cheers

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Copy1 LCPA WITH GALAXY
Brewer: Chris
Asst Brewer:
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Category Number: 10
Subcategory Letter: A
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 50.00 L
Boil Size: 5.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.58 %
Estimated Color: 6.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.3 IBU
Bitterness Ratio: 0.826
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.19 kg Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 2.44 %
6.00 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 77.2 %
0.60 kg Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.70 %
33.00 gm Cascade [5.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort HopHops 9.9 IBU
33.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (60 min) (FiHops 8.8 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (15 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
15.00 gm Chinook [11.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
40.00 gm Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
15.00 gm Chinook [11.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
40.00 gm Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
40.00 gm Cascade [5.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Chinook [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 kg Dextrose [ Corn Sugar ] (0.0 SRM) Sugar 12.84 %
2 Pkgs Safale American Ale (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

To convert AG recipes most of the time you'll just have to replace the base malt with extract to your desired OG, and just steep the specialty malts as normal. Hop wise it's just a matter of adjusting the 60 min bittering addition to the desired IBU. Did a particular AG recipe catch your eye?

Here's this recipe LFPA converted to extract;

Recipe: LFPA Single Batch Extract
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 26.62 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 8.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 47.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.59 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 56.77 %
0.15 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 2.37 %
2.58 kg Carapils Malt (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.85 %

5.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
30.00 gm East Kent Goldings [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
10.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (20 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
15.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (10 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
25.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (5 min) Hops 5.9 IBU

20.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 5.05 kg
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------

Cheers for the Extract Recipe Argon!

Ok... So this will be only my third brew and the other two have been Kit ones.... Keen to give the extract a go to branch out!

So here are my blonde questions:

1) What exactly are the two extracts you mentioned? I have had a look on the craft brewer website but can't seem to locate an extract that matches both of these? Am I looking at it the wrong way or could you point me in the direction of where to source these? (I see that you are also from Brisbane!)

2) Is it def Kg's for the liquid extract or ltrs?

3) I assume that I just boil up the extract and add the hopps at the times mentioned below... Just confirming that these are just added loosely and not in tea bags? Pellets?

4) How am I steeping the the carapils grain? In the same boil or separate?

I undestand that these are probably very basic questions but I am just new.... I have been reading up heaps and have a couple of books to plough through but thought I would clear these ones up now as I am hoping to do this brew next weekend :)

Thankyou for your help! This forum is invaluable!

Camo

Cheers for the Extract Recipe Argon!

Ok... So this will be only my third brew and the other two have been Kit ones.... Keen to give the extract a go to branch out!

So here are my blonde questions:

1) What exactly are the two extracts you mentioned? I have had a look on the craft brewer website but can't seem to locate an extract that matches both of these? Am I looking at it the wrong way or could you point me in the direction of where to source these? (I see that you are also from Brisbane!)

If you're getting it all at CBs just use the dry extract. Say 2.75kg of LDME and .5kg of Dry Wheat Extract and 1.88kg of Carapils

2) Is it def Kg's for the liquid extract or ltrs?
as above

3) I assume that I just boil up the extract and add the hopps at the times mentioned below... Just confirming that these are just added loosely and not in tea bags? Pellets?
Yep correct

4) How am I steeping the the carapils grain? In the same boil or separate?
Just put the carapils in a grain bag and steep it in water that's at about 70degrees for half an hour. Just bring 5 litres up to about 75C chuck in your bag then chuck in the grain. Give it a bit of a stir to make it all wet, then close the lid and come back to it in 30 mins. Give it a dunk or a stir during the 30mins if you want. Remove the bag full of grain. Bring it up to boil and add your extract. Boil for 60mins and add the hops as per the schedule. ie 60min = 60min from end of boil etc.

How big a pot do you have?

I undestand that these are probably very basic questions but I am just new.... I have been reading up heaps and have a couple of books to plough through but thought I would clear these ones up now as I am hoping to do this brew next weekend :)
Have a read of this How to Brew by John Palmer

Thankyou for your help! This forum is invaluable!

Camo

No worries. Since you're in Brisbane come along to BABBs for some like minded brewers with plenty of info to give out and beers to sample
Cheers
:icon_cheers:

EITD: Spellign

1.88 kg of carapils? Seems like a huge amount of carapils! Just checking thats not a typo?

Ahh... true that. :rolleyes: Didn't even check it when i converted it. Stoopid beersmith. <_<

Anyway, this would be much more palatable;

3kg LDME (80%)
0.5kg Wheat DME (13.33%)
0.25kg Carapils (6.67%)

Cheers for the info Argon!

I bought the John Palmer book off Amazon and it arrvied yesterday so will be reading up on that over the next week!

I will definitely join up the BABB as chatting about this in person will no doubt clear up alot of my questions! (especially after I stuff something up!)

I don't have a big pot as yet but will pick one up over the next week.

Few other quick clarifications:

1) When I bring the water to 75C should I keep the heat on so that it stays at 70c or remove the pot from the heat?

2) For the dry hop I assume that this means after 5 days of fermentation? Just throw the pellets in of put them in there in a tea bag?

3) Should I primary ferment and then secondary ferment? (if so how long in each?) I will be bottling this as I have not invested in a keg set up (this is being included in a new house design for the coming year!)

Cheers... I really appreciate you taking the time to provide the detailed responses and links!

Camo

Few other quick clarifications:

1) When I bring the water to 75C should I keep the heat on so that it stays at 70c or remove the pot from the heat?
You want to maintain the heat evenly through your grain, but you don't want to create hot spots. Most people stop applying heat and just put the lid on or wrap it up to maintain temp in a towel or something.

2) For the dry hop I assume that this means after 5 days of fermentation? Just throw the pellets in of put them in there in a tea bag?

I typically dry hop once fermentation is 75-80% complete. In my brewhouse this is typically after 5 days or so. Essentially you don't want all those nice aromas being blown off by Co2 production form a vigorous fermentation. Just check your fermenter and wait till things settle down a bit before chucking them in free. I don't worry about a bag.

3) Should I primary ferment and then secondary ferment? (if so how long in each?) I will be bottling this as I have not invested in a keg set up (this is being included in a new house design for the coming year!)

I just use a primary. Then when fermentation is complete i crash chill to 1C for 48hrs to 7days to clear the beer. Other people rack to secondary to help with clarity at almost end of fermentation. But i find i don't need to.

Have you got fermentation temp control? that should definitely be on the list before kegging.

Cheers... I really appreciate you taking the time to provide the detailed responses and links!

Camo

No worries

CB have been out of Dried Wheat extract for ages you may have to go to C&G.

For steeping you do not have to worry unduly about temperature use 2/3 boiling water 1/3 cold tap water should give you approx 65C. If you want to keep it warm just stick the pot in the oven at its lowest setting. If you are only steeping for 30 mins just leave on the stove it will not lose too much temperature.

Wonder when CB are going to get the wheat extract back in as I was looking for some a few weeks ago.

You can do your dryhop by chucking the pellets in.

Wait until your ferment has finished then rack to your secondary that will leave all the hop gunk behind.
Leave in the secondary for a week with or without finings and you should have good clear beer ready for the bottle.

you know, with all this talk about steeping grain and temp control, i'm really tempted to just leave these here;

link 1 and link 2 :ph34r:

Wow, gota try this, be in HBS tomorrow for some kit.

I have just done this with the hop additions and have got a staggering OG of 1062, might have to thin it down a bit with some additional water. That's a wee bit strong for me. hop additions smelt really good when boiling.

3kg LDME (80%)
0.5kg Wheat DME (13.33%)
0.25kg Carapils (6.67%)

Bugger, just realised my cock up, I put the whole 1 kg packet of Wheat DME in instead of 0.5 kg!!!

You live and learn!

Shifter.... I will be doing this brew next weekend so keen to see how yours travels and if you do anything different to Argon's recipe.

What temp do you have the brew sitting at?

I have just done this with the hop additions and have got a staggering OG of 1062, might have to thin it down a bit with some additional water. That's a wee bit strong for me. hop additions smelt really good when boiling.

3kg LDME (80%)
0.5kg Wheat DME (13.33%)
0.25kg Carapils (6.67%)

Bugger, just realised my cock up, I put the whole 1 kg packet of Wheat DME in instead of 0.5 kg!!!

You live and learn!

Cool! at 1062... it'll be a nice tasty beer... you'll get a beez dick less hop utilization about (3 IBU less). I reckon it'd be a nice easy drinker at a touch over 6% ABV... very nice ;)

This is a bit of a coincidence since I converted argon's LCPA recipe to extract for myself and brewed it last Monday!

I used 1.5kg LDME and a 1.5kg tin of Morgan's liquid wheat malt extract (these are typically 50/50 wheat and barley malt). The rest of the recipe was as per the all-grain version including 250g steeped Carapils and the same hop schedule for the boil. I made this up to 23L and the OG came out at 1039 which I thought was a bit low but the hydrometer doesn't lie.

I'm guilty of being an airlock sniffer and it smells fantastic in there at the moment.

I plan to rack to a secondary after 1 week at which point I will dry hop then leave for two weeks before kegging.

I'm very much looking forward to trying this one. I love my APAs!

She is sitting at about 22 deg C (summer in Tassie). Fermentation hasn't really started yet, maybe because of the high gravity. Might need some additional yeast? Rocket fuel!

Just an Centennial / Amarillo Neills recipe. I have one in the fridge which is still young but tasting lovely, so thought I'd get another underway. This time I used 1.5 Amber LME with 1.5 Light LME, 300 g crystal (steeped for 30 mins) and the same hop schedule. (20g Centennial at 30mins, 40g amarillo @20mins and 40 g Amarillo @10 mins) See how it goes.

Had to add some additional yeast to get this beer to ferment. Finally it's going. will let it go for a 4 days or so then add the dry hop additions.

Hi All,

I'm thinking of putting this one down - can anyone let me know how it turned out?

Cheers,
Mut

Latest posts

Back