Lcpa Clone With Too Much Body Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Hi brewers i have been trying to brew up a similar beer to LCPA and had some belters and some average ones. ( note i am using up the left over grains and as such mixed results)

Anyway, my colour is spot on and with blind taste tests, mega drinkers cant taste the difference apart from "this is thicker, or creamy" and i agree, however i can pick mine as it lacks the hop impact etc.

My question is how do i lower this creamy thick body of my AG. I was thinking lower malt bill, mash temp?

(the pale ale malt was infact powells ale and the cara was based on using up my left overs eg had no wheat so used carawheat all in the interest of getting some space in the brew area - likewise hops, i understand this is not a perfect recipe but i am mostly interested in the reduction of body)

90Lt
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010
mash at 66 - HERMS

gypsum added ( however i dont have that qty at hand)

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.4 %
0.40 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 70L (70.0 SRM) Grain 2.3 %
0.30 kg Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM) Grain 1.7 %
40.00 gm Super pride [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
19.00 gm Super Alpha [10.70%] (60 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
60.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
50.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (10 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
60.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (0 min) Hops -
2.50 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 14.5 %

nice one, i will keep that for when i restock the malts and hops.

However i was just wondering why i was getting such a thick body/creamy finish to my ale as i have had it before.

I was thinking it may be the mash temp, or is it the grain bill.

I guess some further brews might solve it but the brewers here might be able to help

With 14% dextrose in there and a mash of 66C, assuming you are reaching the 1.010 in the recipe it's hard to see how you would have too much body. Not sure what the original is but it may in fact finish lower than that. If you are reaching 1.010, I would check your carbonation - sometimes low carbonation can give the impression of more body/creaminess.

Edit: Also may want to calibrate your thermometer at mash temperatures (but if you're reaching the desired FG that is less likely to be a concern I would have thought).

what yeast are you using?.......... and how much do you pitch?

If your under pitching in that big 90 liter batch, you may be getting diaceteyl which is not always detectable (most people cant taste it) as a butterscotch flavour, but tends to come accross as a sweet, slick kind of finnish in the beer.

I was making pale ales with american yeast strains, mainly US-05, and underpitching it to save a buck. People would taste the beer and say..... ooo its sweet. I was a tad perplexed at this as they were actually quite bitter.

At a recent club meet i had several people try a beer and all liked it, but i had a feeling it wasnt quite right as i was getting that slick creaminess under all the hops. I got Keith from Potters brewery to taste it and he strait away said...... diacetyl. He is a rare one that can taste it.

Then once i knew what i was looking for, i found i could faintly smell the butterscotch but couldnt taste it at all.

just a thought :)

cheers

thanks lads, all good info.

I am brewing with us1056 and i tend to make a starter to about 6Lt stir plate in 3-4 step ups ( the brew was ment to be 80Lt but i didnt have the loses i expected). This last batch i have used a larger starter from the past brew in the hope it helps. The final gravity i am sure was 1.008 to 1.010 as i used both hydro and refract.

I would love to cut through the body of these beers as they are very nice but after a few i feel full/fury tounge ( mind you it never stops me drinking more)

if you want to up the hoppiness, drop the high AA% bittering hops at 60 min and use centiennial at a 30 minuite addition.

You would be suprised how much hop character you can get from a late bittering addition using lower alpha hops.

thanks Tony, I will look at the pitching rate as you mention it might be low given the large volume of brew.

Once i sort this extra body - (the beer not mine) i will try the hop addition yum

Latest posts

Back