Lc Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the way i did it was, add about the LDME to water and boil, in your biggest pot filled up 3cm from the top. Boil the LDME liquid, and the boil hops (5 min), add steep hops, wheat malt and dex, then leave that to steep for about 20 min, strain into fermenter and add can fill to 23L.
Too easy :p

I bought a clone pack for this type of beer today as I wanted something to fill a fermenter.

It came with :-

Black Rock Pilsener Blonde
Safale US-05
1kg of brewing sugars - no break down of what was in it.
50g of Amarillo hop pellets.

NO INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!! WTF

Any way, I mixed the brewing sugars with 4 litres of water and brought it to the boil. I then added 15g of hops and boiled for 15 then added another 15g for 5 minutes.

Cooled and mixed in with the kit. Will see how it goes.

Should be good with 1g hops per litre to dryhop after about 4 days.

Will make a very nice beer but not much like LCPA with Amarillo, should be a bit more like JS Golden or Amber IMO.

Maybe 500g of wheat malt (or Wheat Liquid Extract if you aren't steeping grains yet), will really give it that fruity taste.

A kind suggestion - if you are buying 3 x hop socks, it might be a little more economical to purchase a 90 or 100g cryvacced bag of hop pellets and a piece of holey polyester curtain material from spotlight (re-usable). It works out to be about $12 all up, and the curtain material is reusable. Hops are $7-9 for 90 or 100g. Way cheaper and I find that they are fresher than the teabags too. And the variety of hops is better, depending on which shop you get it from.

I personally love Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin. Cascade and Chinook are a really good choice as well. That's the beauty of hop pellets, there is so much variety and they are so fresh - you'll really notice the difference to toucans and extract beers.

Should be good with 1g hops per litre to dryhop after about 4 days.

Will make a very nice beer but not much like LCPA with Amarillo, should be a bit more like JS Golden or Amber IMO.

Maybe 500g of wheat malt (or Wheat Liquid Extract if you aren't steeping grains yet), will really give it that fruity taste.

Hey fellows, you know it makes it easier to know who you are talking to with a quote from a post. I do not know if this is for the OP or for me.

Hey fellows, you know it makes it easier to know who you are talking to with a quote from a post. I do not know if this is for the OP or for me.

Sorry thought it was obvious as you are the one with Amarillo hops not Chinook or Cascade or any of the LC hops.

Nevertheless your beer should be good but not a LCPA clone.

Fair call - my apologies. It was directed at the OP, regarding the hops and you regarding the use of wheat malt.

My advice however could be useful for both of you, wheat malt is great for just about any "fruity" style ale, and use of hop pellets over teabags is sound for anyone not there yet.

The reason I say this is that I was Toucanning and then extract brewing for years, and I never had the confidence to actually know what hops I liked, how to use them well and to cut the apron strings of premade hop teabags. Suffice to say if this forum existed 12 years ago, I'd have been further along in my brewing journey sooner. So I want to help and impart knowledge so that if others wish, they don't have to avoid something purely from lack of confidence.

kbe - since you live in Maryborough and it takes maybe two days at the most for Australia Post to send stuff, visit the site sponsor from Brisbane and look at their range (and their description) of hops. Fantastic resource and chap as.

Hey lads,

I put this one down just over a month ago and cracked the 1st couple over the weekend and really pleased with it!!

Little Coach's Pale Ale

Light dry malt - 2.5Kg

Caraaroma - 200g
Carared - 200g
Carapils - 250g

Dextrose - 250g

Chinook -15g @ 60
East Kent Golding - 15g @ 60
Cascade - 15g @ 30
Cascade - 15g @ 10
Chinook - 10g @ 5
Cascade - 20g @ 0
Dry hopped with 20g Cascade after 5 days

Yeast - US05 pitched @ 22C (fermented for 14 days @ 16C)

Boil Volume - 7L
Total Volume - 23L
IBU - 30.2
OG - 48
FG - 10
Alc % - 5.4 (bottled)

If ya like the sound of it def give it a go (maybe use some wheat malt and up dry hop aswell)

Happy brewing :icon_cheers:

Hey lads,

I put this one down just over a month ago and cracked the 1st couple over the weekend and really pleased with it!!

Little Coach's Pale Ale

Light dry malt - 2.5Kg

Caraaroma - 200g
Carared - 200g
Carapils - 250g

Dextrose - 250g

Chinook -15g @ 60
East Kent Golding - 15g @ 60
Cascade - 15g @ 30
Cascade - 15g @ 10
Chinook - 10g @ 5
Cascade - 20g @ 0
Dry hopped with 20g Cascade after 5 days

Yeast - US05 pitched @ 22C (fermented for 14 days @ 16C)

Boil Volume - 7L
Total Volume - 23L
IBU - 30.2
OG - 48
FG - 10
Alc % - 5.4 (bottled)

If ya like the sound of it def give it a go (maybe use some wheat malt and up dry hop aswell)

Happy brewing :icon_cheers:

Looks like a good hop schedule... should be pretty close to the real thing

Looks like a good hop schedule... should be pretty close to the real thing

+1
coach's version looks to be more on par with what i expect of a lcpa clone. got a long list of things to brew but ill be putting this one in there for sure. cheers coach

Latest posts

Back