Larger & Dark Ale Dry Hopping?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuzzy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have in my fermentors a Coopers Larger and a Coopers Larger.

I have 3 packs of hop pellets:

Amarillo, Cascade & Citra.

I was thinking that any will be good to dry hop for the larger and am thinking to give the Citra a go, but unsure what to use for the dark ale - or just leave it alone?

Suggestions anyone?

Kuzzy

Edir - coopers larger and coopers dark ale... sorry.

You could try some Nthn Brewer as a bittering and cascade for flavour and aroma , which is a good combo for a dark ale , or you could use some noble hops for a more malty flavour rather than hop flavour . The brewing is your oyster. Do some research on what goes with what . I am no expert so what I do when I brew is to buy a bottle to the style I am going to brew and then marry the hop flavour with the malt and yeast .

I quite like halletau with Dark Ale, ends up much like Tooyees Old,
or Goldings for an English type of beer.

I currently doing a black beer with Saaz, sort of czech but dark.

I've never done a cascade dark but now that you bring it up I'll be putting it on my to-do list.

In general dark beers tend to showcase the malty flavour more than hops, but nothing
says you have to follow those conventions, the beer is your creation.

As long as you keep to good quality ingredients and don't go too overboard the produce
should be fairly drinkable, even if it turns out not quite as you wished.

Every brew might not be a masterpiece, but as long as you learn soemthing with each brew
then it's not wasted.

Back