Lame Brew ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danthuyer

Reaction score
I stumbled across this forum after looking for some tips and I must say the knowledge contained within has been invaluable so far.

BACKGROUND:

Last weekend I started to put down my first brew after moving from Brisbane to Sydney (3 years ago) when I was rudely interupted by the wife which stuffed up my whole day. I had just heated the goo out of the can and placed it into the keg along with some dextrose. I came back to the mix 4 hours later and then continued where I left off and got the mix to 26 deg then added the yeast and closed the keg off and placed in the garage.

Unfortunately the weather patterns changed and the mix dropped to I would say around 16 deg within the first 24 hours of the lids being closed. I quickly ran out to the local brew shop and got a heat pad for underneath it and hooked it up to a timer to regulate the temp over the cooler nights.

So after 5 days now at a constant 18-22 deg I am still not seeing any signs of bubbling ... the air lock water levels have evened out however still no 'real' movement.

QUESTION:

Is this expected in the cooler Sydney weather ? I remember things being a lot different when living in QLD where the mix would bubble away after 3 days in the warmer climate....

Should I take a Gravity reading ... ?

Should I leave it alone and just wait .. ?

Do I shoot the wife for interrupting my weekend and killing my brew :p

I stumbled across this forum after looking for some tips and I must say the knowledge contained within has been invaluable so far.

Should I take a Gravity reading ... ?

Should I leave it alone and just wait .. ?

Do I shoot the wife for interrupting my weekend and killing my brew :p

Stumble across the search feature at all?
No?, well, read on....

Yes, Gravity readings tell you how much your brew has fermented out.
If it's not ready, leave it longer, if it's ready, use the search feature and read up about "bulk Priming" for your bottles.

If your wife is ugly, yes, shoot her.
If she is just ok, give her to the handicapped.
If she's hot, I'll DM you my address.

BF

Stumble across the search feature at all?
No?, well, read on....

Yes, Gravity readings tell you how much your brew has fermented out.
If it's not ready, leave it longer, if it's ready, use the search feature and read up about "bulk Priming" for your bottles.

If your wife is ugly, yes, shoot her.
If she is just ok, give her to the handicapped.
If she's hot, I'll DM you my address.

BF

- Search = Win ... found it thanks
- Will take readings tonight and see where it is @
- Wife is HOT ... but is not putting out ... maybe you will have better luck ;)

- Search = Win ... found it thanks
- Will take readings tonight and see where it is @
- Wife is HOT ... but is not putting out ... maybe you will have better luck ;)

Good work.

Your Hydro, for a tin and dex, should read around 1008 to about 1011 depending on your batch size.
once that's had the same reading for at least 2 days, you're ready to bottle it.

let them sit for 2 about weeks and then you're ready to drink them.

No they wont taste like Little creatures, fat yak or some other mid-stream brewed beer
No they won't taste like TED's or SuperDry
And they sure as hell wont taste like a craft beer.
Yes they will have a unique flavour that you will adjust to, but won't be able to get rid of until you make beer from real ingredients.

All that being said, making it is almost more fun than drinking it.

Have fun and send me a pic of your wife.

BF

Current reading is 1010 for 23 Liters of Coopers Wheat Beer

Ill measure again tomorrow afternoon

still 1010 reading

found out that my ring seal had dried out hence not a complete air lock hence no bubbling

oh and yes I realise it has a certain taste .... but for the cost to make it and the enjoyment of making a nice beer for friemds.. I dont mind, maybe one day I will get into mash

Thx again :D

Back