Lallemand Nottingham

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna pitch a fake lager with it this weekend at 12deg, keen to see how it goes. I'm in the midst of stepping up my starter at the moment.

Will probably start ramping the temp 3-4 days after krausen arrives...

Not really on the temp topic but put down a dark ale with this last week and all activity seemed to be over in 48 hours. Temp was 20 degrees so possibly on the warm side reading this, seems to have worked gravity down from 1054 to 1010 (I think from memory). Does this sound reasonable have never used it before and seems awful fast.

Just finishing off fermenting 2 bitters from a split batch. One fermented with nottingham and the other with mangrove jacks empire ale. The notto one has a nutty flavour to it which is not revise t ing eh empire one. Has anyone found notto to give nutty flavours before? Been fermenting at 14C for a week before I knocked it up to 18 to finish off. Ive used nottingham before in a porter and never had this flavour but that may have been masked by the dark malts.

I use Nottingham quite a lot. Our blonde ale, which is the house favourite and on a regular turn around is fermented at 14 deg C with Notty and I have never noticed any real yeast influence, especially not any "nutiness". Another advantage of Notty is that after kegging and a week in the keezer the beer is crystal clear. However, if you do want a bit of yeast influence, I've found K-97 to give better results (more of a kolsch style maybe?), but the yeast stays in suspension, so it takes a week longer to clear (at 2degC).

I also use 50/50 Nottingham and S-04 for my English ales and stout, which are fermented warmer at 19 to 21 deg C. Makes a beast of a yeast. Fast start, all the English ale yeastiness of S-04 (seems to pair well with Notty) plus Notty's better finish, which avoids the dreaded S-04 stall. There is some "nuttiness" in the ESB, but I had put that down to the MO grain! Maybe it's the Notty!

I use Nottingham quite a lot. Our blonde ale, which is the house favourite and on a regular turn around is fermented at 14 deg C with Notty and I have never noticed any real yeast influence, especially not any "nutiness". Another advantage of Notty is that after kegging and a week in the keezer the beer is crystal clear. However, if you do want a bit of yeast influence, I've found K-97 to give better results (more of a kolsch style maybe?), but the yeast stays in suspension, so it takes a week longer to clear (at 2degC).

I also use 50/50 Nottingham and S-04 for my English ales and stout, which are fermented warmer at 19 to 21 deg C. Makes a beast of a yeast. Fast start, all the English ale yeastiness of S-04 (seems to pair well with Notty) plus Notty's better finish, which avoids the dreaded S-04 stall. There is some "nuttiness" in the ESB, but I had put that down to the MO grain! Maybe it's the Notty!
I'm about to crash it and keg so I'll see if the flavour is still there after that. I managed to get a fair amount of trub into the fermenter so maybe some of the flavour is coming from that.

Back