Lallemand/ Danstar London ESB Dry yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All reference to this yeast seems to have been removed from the Lallemand / Danstar website. Seems a bit strange.

I've used it twice.

Both times it finished at 1020. Even after swirling the fermenter, raising temp etc.

One of these beers was an APA mashed at 62C so should have been plenty fermentable. The other was a FWK.

Clears well. Not particularly estery. But is a low attenuator in my experience.

That's dissappointing.
What pitching temp and what brew temp did you use?
If I use my pack I might try higher temps.

Both times I rehydrated.

I pitch at around 18, start ferment at 19 and after a few days raise the temp to the early 20's.

The bulk of the ferment seems to be over in a few days but I leave them for around 10 days before cold crashing.

It's a bit disappointing but I've had this happen with English liquid yeasts as well.

Cheers. I might try the reverse thing.
I might give it a go starting a higher temp like 23C or something so the yeast multiplies more and gets some esters or something, then drop to 20-21C

I would be careful lowering the temp. That could make the yeast drop out/stall even earlier.

Thanks, I'll make sure I have something else to pitch if that happens.
Still, the feedback is disappointing. I was hoping to replace s04 which can have the same problem (but at least that is a high floc and att rate...)
After doing most of my brewing over winter, I've found most yeasts don't like a 18C pitch temp. Esp as I do it in the afternoon/evening and then it only gets cooler overnight despite my efforts of insulation/hoping the yeast raises temp itself. (E: which is why I'm going to try pitching at a higher temp)

dammag said:
I've used it twice.

Both times it finished at 1020. Even after swirling the fermenter, raising temp etc.

One of these beers was an APA mashed at 62C so should have been plenty fermentable. The other was a FWK.

Clears well. Not particularly estery. But is a low attenuator in my experience.
There's a long thread on this yeast at Homebrewtalk.:http://http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?s=ff838f061755ef194969bd5452a1b26c&t=588922&page=15

Overall, experience of the brewers there who have tried it mirror yours, except some report poor clearing. You and they could all be right given temperature and other variables.

"Not particularly estery" -- at what temperatures during active fermentation?

Danstar calls it a medium attenuator, but they say the same about Windsor, which is famously low, good for estery, low-OG brews or else at high OG the renowned pancake-syrup imperial stouts in which you can stand a pencil. Or you canuse sugar or dry out the beer with as second yeast.

It makes me wonder what the Danstar folks would call low. Given the low attenuation of ESB, I wonder what the advantages are over Windsor, if any. Maybe clearing, if that holds up, but I suppose it comes down to the respective flavour profiles, and judging those is up to the brewer and fans.

RobH said:
All reference to this yeast seems to have been removed from the Lallemand / Danstar website. Seems a bit strange.
As of a short while ago the site was unavailable. The Russians? Fermentis? Mangrove Jack?

I just finished a kit brew with this yeast, it's finished in 5 days @ 1010 FG
I used some more dextrose due to it's reputation, I wish I didn't now. Tastes a bit dry due to dex and a bit home-brewy due to high inital temp, but we'll see how it ends up...
Kit, 700g LDME, 500g dex. (usually use 800g min LDME and 500g dex is a bit on the high side without any MD, I try to keep it below 400g)

Pitched at 23C 7PM, one ice bottle to slowly drop the temp.
At 4AM it was already at full krausen. At 7AM added another ice bottle to keep it around 21C. The second day onwards I kept it around 19-20C.

It ended up 2 points higher than say us05 ( which would bring a 700g ldme/500g dex brew down to 1008)

I see no reason why this couldn't brew down to 1014-1016 or something like windsor or other 65%-70% attenuators when using more malt.

Making an ESB with this yeast today. 66°C mashin, 72 (10) 78 (10). Will let you know what I find.
Note that I am a 1g/L or thereabouts pitcher, rehydrated.
Reading the above, some say they have trouble getting SO4 down. I always get 1.010 if main rest is at 64C.
Aiming for 1.012 - 1.013.
Beersmith thinks I'll hit 1.011

Seeing as this thread has been revived, does anyone know of a retailer with a good range of dry yeasts who will actually post in an envelope instead of an expensive Fastway satchel etc?

I remember seeing one on eBay if that helps. Name escapes me. If you find one please let us know.

Bribie G said:
Seeing as this thread has been revived, does anyone know of a retailer with a good range of dry yeasts who will actually post in an envelope instead of an expensive Fastway satchel etc?

mckenry said:
Making an ESB with this yeast today. 66°C mashin, 72 (10) 78 (10). Will let you know what I find.
Note that I am a 1g/L or thereabouts pitcher, rehydrated.
Reading the above, some say they have trouble getting SO4 down. I always get 1.010 if main rest is at 64C.
Aiming for 1.012 - 1.013.
Beersmith thinks I'll hit 1.011
Well. This yeast gave up at 1.016 at 66C and fermented at 20C
I read somewhere that it doesn't ferment out malto-triose (which results in a higher FG). I should have mashed lower. Still at 4% it's a great malty beer. At a touch over 5% caraaroma the malt balance is bang on. The fuggles is noticeable as is the Styrian. Very easy drinking.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496133191.203926.jpg

Nice one, mckenry.
I'm less fixated on a particular FG or ABV than a host of flavour characteristics.
Fuggles and Styian, malty goodness- happy days mate.

1968 can be finicky, I tend to start about 16 and raise to 22 over 10 or so days before crashing. I forgot all about this one, I use loads of 1968 I might do a side by side next porter I brew

Well. This yeast gave up at 1.016 at 66C and fermented at 20C
I read somewhere that it doesn't ferment out malto-triose (which results in a higher FG). I should have mashed lower. Still at 4% it's a great malty beer. At a touch over 5% caraaroma the malt balance is bang on. The fuggles is noticeable as is the Styrian. Very easy drinking.
View attachment 97570
What was your OG?

Latest posts

Back