Lagering Process

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the major German Breweries, Warsteiner, ferment at 15 degrees and then lager for ten days a-la-Fosters and it's a popular brew. I guess it's all in the yeast.

When the yeast runs out of easily eaten stuff it then starts eating things that are edible, but not as tasty as glucose or maltose or fructose.

Yeast can eat diacetyl, it can eat acetaldehyde - and it can eat all sorts of stuff that shouldn't be in a "green" lager. Gravity will drop out protein and polyphenol complexes quicker in the cold.

Saving up for Brewing Science and Practice. I'm thinking that will have the info I'm chasing and then some.

That first couple of paragraphs I posted on the first page is from this book.

If you're looking for shortcuts like commercial breweries than this is the book. Not really a homebrewing text. Breweries are more concerned with getting a lager from the fermenter to the bottle shop in two weeks.

Good yeast and fining agents are nearly as good as eight weeks at 2C. If you have lots of fridges it's a great idea - but like breweries I don't consider it worth the hassle - especially if you are bottle conditioning anyway. YMMV.

A few questions I'm looking to answer that started with this lager query.

Do the cold temps only effect yeast?
How does lagering effect colloids?
How do colloids effect chill haze?
how does yeast dropping out effect flavours, acids, carbonic acid, head retention, proteins?
If proteins are removed during the lager process how much and over what period of time. Is it a linear scale or logarithmic?''

It seems after putting pen to paper I've got quite a few questions.

The Mechanism of Colloidal instability in beer and its consequences for haze and flavour stability.

I'll keep looking.

When the yeast runs out of easily eaten stuff it then starts eating things that are edible, but not as tasty as glucose or maltose or fructose.

Does the yeast do this better/faster/more effieciently at lagering temperatures rather than at fermenting temps?

Does the yeast do this better/faster/more effieciently at lagering temperatures rather than at fermenting temps?

At low temps it's metabolism starts slowing down. I'm trying to find a graph that shows this.

I still haven't found anything about what lagering does to beer yet.

At low temps it's metabolism starts slowing down. I'm trying to find a graph that shows this.

Yes thats what I am saying. So wouldn't it be better to get the yeast to do its cleanup at higher temps especially seeing as though its trying to floc out at low temps

I'll keep looking.

And while you keep looking also look into the historical reasons for lagering and the modern improvements that now make it moot. This might tell you a lot.

Can you tell me a commercial example of a beer that is lagerd for traditional periods?

And while you keep looking also look into the historical reasons for lagering and the modern improvements that now make it moot. This might tell you a lot.

Can you tell me a commercial example of a beer that is lagerd for traditional periods?

Urquell

Duvel

A few questions I'm looking to answer that started with this lager query.

Do the cold temps only effect yeast?
How does lagering effect colloids?
How do colloids effect chill haze?
how does yeast dropping out effect flavours, acids, carbonic acid, head retention, proteins?
If proteins are removed during the lager process how much and over what period of time. Is it a linear scale or logarithmic?''

It seems after putting pen to paper I've got quite a few questions.

The Mechanism of Colloidal instability in beer and its consequences for haze and flavour stability.

I'll keep looking.

With Questions like that you need to look here
http://www.ballarat.edu.au/coursefinder/display.php?ID=366

I still haven't found anything about what lagering does to beer yet.

not trying to be a smart arse but have you tried doing a search on here for lagering or cold conditioning. There are hundreds of threads with quite probably the information you're after.

The objectives of that course don't cover the topics I've raised though. :(

not trying to be a smart arse but have you tried doing a search on here for lagering or cold conditioning. There are hundreds of threads with quite probably the information you're after.

Sure did. They all mention clearing up yeast. They don't go into the detail I'm chasing.

edit: ingrish

Did you look at this thread. I think that suggests that the answer is that it is mostly to do with getting stuff to drop out.

I'm just curious about the other effects. Like chill haze.

It's been suggested to me that extensive lagering/cold conditioning will remove chill haze (unless I misinterpreted).

I'm guessing you're interested in the science of how and why though?

The primary purpose of Lagering is to remove Proteins, get the beer cold enough for the proteins to condense exactly the same as when chill haze forms then wait for the partials that form the haze to sink to the bottom.

The proteins are the same ones that form chill haze; they are also the same ones that become permanent haze later if not removed.

Obviously if you lager a beer then let it warm up before separating the condensed trub, it will promptly go back into solution and you are pretty much back where you started.

A pile of other reactions are also going on but the removal of haze forming matter is the nuts of Lagering.

MHB

"Obviously"
That or never let the beer warm up

MHB

Back