Lagering Process

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete2501

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I want to find out what lagering actually does to beer. What effects does keeping beer at low temperatures have?

My simple understanding is that it drops the yeast out and over the longer period of time makes it a much clearer beer.

I've read a couple sites this morning just saying "it's done because it's a lager". They don't explain how it changes the beer other than to clear it up or that it was stored in cellars back in the day. The reason I ask is I haven't got around to kegging an all Amarillo APA that's been sitting @ 1-3 degrees for almost 4 weeks now.

Cheers for your input guys. :icon_cheers:

Dropping out the suspended yeast in my experience has a massive effect on flavour. I find beer once bottled is less green due to a cold maturation process. Since lagers are traditionally clean with low esters and esters are related to yeast, my guess is that this is the main reason. It's basically a maturation process.

There are probably other reasons and some more scientific than that - that's just my experience with cold storage.

This might end up being a very low flavoured ale then. I hope there aren't too many bad flavours that shine through after all this time.

Kegging this weekend.

Dropping out the suspended yeast in my experience has a massive effect on flavour. I find beer once bottled is less green due to a cold maturation process. Since lagers are traditionally clean with low esters and esters are related to yeast, my guess is that this is the main reason. It's basically a maturation process.

There are probably other reasons and some more scientific than that - that's just my experience with cold storage.

I would have thought that the clean, low-ester characteristics of lagers were more related to the cold(er) fermentation temperatures and/or the yeasts that like fermenting at these lower temperatures... once fermentation is complete, would lagering really effect the taste that much?

Don't lager yeasts give off sulphur and the lagering process heaps to let it out of solution?

I've never made a real lager so I don't know much on the subject, but that's my take on it.

Heard it needs to be done so the beer doesn't smell like eggs.

On a side note US05 can throw of some sulphur smells. I've got a keg of a US05 beer that's pretty acid/sulphur intense.

I would have thought that the clean, low-ester characteristics of lagers were more related to the cold(er) fermentation temperatures and/or the yeasts that like fermenting at these lower temperatures... once fermentation is complete, would lagering really effect the taste that much?

Yes you're right. Ester production is a primary fermentation process. Whether lagering cleans up any of those by-products is more what I mean (including the sulphur mentioned by Mark). I cold condition ales and prefer the resulting flavours. The few lagers I've done have had a similar characteristic

Commercial Lagering.

Beer is transferred to a separate tank for maturation in traditional lagering methods.
Before the end of primary fermentation cooling is applied to the cone of the fermenter to
achieve a temperature of 5 C (41 F). The remainder of the beer above the cone (at least
95% of the volume) is at a higher temperature to ensure effective diacetyl removal.
Cooling below 5 C (41 F) is not necessary and runs the risk of cooling the beer beyond
its point of maximum density when inversion of flow around the fermenter may occur
(Andrews, 1997). About 24 hours after applying cooling an initial removal of yeast is
usually carried out. This yeast is usually discarded. When diacetyl reduction is complete
the remainder of the beer is slowly cooled to 5 C (41 F) to complete the maturation by
adjusting the flavour volatiles. A sudden fall in temperature must be avoided or the shock
may induce the yeast to excrete protease enzymes that could be detrimental to foam
stability. This cooling may take from two to nine days. At the end of this period a second
removal of yeast is usually made. The beer is now completely cooled to at least -1C
(30 F). The period of colloidal stabilization now takes place at -1 to -2 C (30 to 28F)
for two to three days. A final yeast removal is made before filtration. The colloidal
stabilization temperature must be maintained throughout the whole vessel.

There are many variations on this technique which would still be regarded as
traditional. Indeed the times can be much longer (Miedaner, 1978) with storage times at
-1 C (30F) being up to six weeks. In this situation up to 40% of the capital cost of the
brewery could be in the tanks required to condition beer (Coors, 1977). Fermentation and
maturation can also be carried out in one vessel so avoiding transfer between primary and
secondary fermentation.
Because of the high capital costs associated with building tanks and the working
capital of stored beer, brewers have sought to reduce maturation times. Yeasts with the
ability to reduce diacetyl rapidly have been used and warm storage times have been
almost eliminated. There are almost as many variations on maturation technique as there
are breweries. At least one successful system comprises: fermenter filling 20 hours,
primary fermentation 72 hours, warm storage 48 hours, cooling 48 hours, cold storage at
-1 C (30 F) 36 to 48 hours. Total time is less than ten days. These systems can produce
sound beer. However things can go wrong and they are susceptible to variations in raw
material quality. To escape from periods of uncertainty over maturation and hence
flavour stability, brewers need to keep in mind the traditional principles of the process.

There sure are! - I havent got time today but ill try to post a little sci soon

ive noticed us05 producing a sulphur smell in my last kegged beer also, smells like a fart in your cup.
went away after a week tho, thankfully

So without trying to sound ignorant (and a touch lazy, im sure the answer would be sitting here somewhere) how long do people generally lager for?
I have a lager sitting on the primary yeast at around 5 deg. Its been there for about 7 days (after fermenting for 14 days) and has cleared dramatically Im wondering how much longer it should go for. Im thinking, rack to a secondary and give it another week or so?
Cheers
aches

IIRC lagering takes between 4 weeks and several months. It's up to you how long you leave it.

Clearing beer can be done quickly with additives. Lagering is about cleaning up unwanted flavours.

With a good yeast and a smooth ferment, you really don't need to lager for ages. Commercial breweries don't.

Clearing beer can be done quickly with additives. Lagering is about cleaning up unwanted flavours.

With a good yeast and a smooth ferment, you really don't need to lager for ages. Commercial breweries don't.

That's it? Just clearing up unwanted flavours and "bits". Well that's all good but It'd be nice to know why that happens.

That's it? Just clearing up unwanted flavours and "bits". Well that's all good but It'd be nice to know why that happens.

Gravity and yeast metabolising compounds that they would rather not, but have nothing else.

So without trying to sound ignorant (and a touch lazy, im sure the answer would be sitting here somewhere) how long do people generally lager for?
I have a lager sitting on the primary yeast at around 5 deg. Its been there for about 7 days (after fermenting for 14 days) and has cleared dramatically Im wondering how much longer it should go for. Im thinking, rack to a secondary and give it another week or so?
Cheers
aches
G'day aches. I generally filter and keg after approx two weeks and allow the beer to lager in the keg. Lots of folks doing it that way.

Thanks Razz, good info Im going to bottle this lot as its a half brew but next time Im kegging. I have to say I am really impressed with the results. For a long period during fermentation I thought it was heading towards a trip to the compost heap.
CHeers

Saving up for Brewing Science and Practice. I'm thinking that will have the info I'm chasing and then some.

Latest posts

Back