Lagering necessary when extract brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
Hi All,

I usually brew with a mate, and we throw down one Ag and one Kit brew (keeps the supplies going!).
We are doing Lagers this weekend one dunkel (AG) and one Helles (extract).

I have the facility to lager one fermenter easily (move it to the from the fermentation-fridge to the fridge-fridge). I lager both but is just means my fermentation-fridge will be unavailable for knocking up another batch, which of course nobody wants.

So my question is, how necessary is it for an extract brew as it probably has less clarity issues than the AG brew?

The Helles will be something like this:

% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
92.1 14.50 lbs. Pilsner LME America 1.046 4
6.3 1.00 lbs. Munich LME Germany 1.003 10
1.6 0.25 lbs. Melanoidin Malt 1.001 35

Cheers,
Losp

Lagering drops out many products but its main effect is on yeast and if done properly, yeast related products like diacetyl and acetaldehyde.

AG or extract makes no difference to this aspect.

+1 back in my extract/bottling days, the brews I was most patient with during cold conditioning were always the best, especially when it comes to lagers.

manticle said:
Lagering drops out many products but its main effect is on yeast and if done properly, yeast related products like diacetyl and acetaldehyde.

AG or extract makes no difference to this aspect.
How much diacetyl drops out when lagering?
Alright, not exactly what i wanted to hear!

Thanks

If you raise slowly for a diacetyl rest towards the end of fermentation and then drop slowly towards lagering temps, you should remove it (or drop it below most people's tasting thresholds), all else being equal.

Latest posts

Back