Lagering Advice Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiderpig

Reaction score
Greetings all. Adventurous I know, but as VERY new person to brewing, I decided to take on a brew requiring the wort to be 'Lagered' through it's first fermentation. I was brewing the Morgans QLD Gold and added BE#2 with some Cascade Finishing Hops and used a Saflager w34 yeast. I had the wort sitting in a fridge at 10 Celcius for about 10 days and then racked to a secondary where this sat for another nearly 2 weeks at 10 Celcius. The hydrometer gave me a read for 3 days at 1010 so thinking she had finished I bottled. I left the bottles for a week in the fridge at 10 Celcius and then removed for conditioning. I had two bottles explode, so clearly the first stage had not quite finished. There have not been any since that have done this. After about 3 weeks I decided to crack open a 'Tallie' and always decant to a Jug. She was like Mt Visuvius - nothing but froth and a rather unpleasant smell. Is this batch doomed for the drain, or will leaving it sit for 3 months or so settle things down? There isn't too much basic advice on the step by step process for Lagering, have I done something wrong? Or, is just a case of patience. BTW, chose this brew as I am a consumer of 4X Gold (Don't hold this against me - PLEASE...)

Can't really answer your question on lagering spiderpig but do be aware that temperature will affect the accuracy of your hydrometer readings (not the consistency if all readings are taken at the same temperature). It should be written on your hydrometer but most are calibrated to 20C I think. Since you were comparing consecutive readings this is more of a concern if you're trying to use FG to judge whether fermentation has finished (which you weren't) or calculate alc%. May be useful to know though. Someone else may have a link to a correction table.

What sort of yeast were you using for this? If using an ale yeast those temperatures could have made the yeast become dormant, which may explain the bottles exploding...

My first pilsner did a similar thing. I'd try putting them in the fridge at lagering temp (i.e. ~1C) for a month or so. My pilsner was fairly volcanic at first, but after a month lagering was much better.

Thanks Jon, might give that one a shot. It will be an absolute last resort to empty these ones out, so tonight I might start chilling these down again for a month or so. I just wonder as they have been out of the fridge for some time now whether or not it's too late? I won't die wondering. You're a good man, love your work. Troy

you said it had a bad smell, it might be infected.

hows it taste?

keep in mind that its natural for lagers to throw plenty of sulphur during fermentation, hence needing a lagering period.

be very very careful handling them if youve already had bottles explode. comes down to how much you value things like your eyes and fingers really though. i wouldnt be going near them without some fairly decent saftey gear on.

Greetings all. Adventurous I know, but as VERY new person to brewing, I decided to take on a brew requiring the wort to be 'Lagered' through it's first fermentation. I was brewing the Morgans QLD Gold and added BE#2 with some Cascade Finishing Hops and used a Saflager w34 yeast. I had the wort sitting in a fridge at 10 Celcius for about 10 days and then racked to a secondary where this sat for another nearly 2 weeks at 10 Celcius. The hydrometer gave me a read for 3 days at 1010 so thinking she had finished I bottled. I left the bottles for a week in the fridge at 10 Celcius and then removed for conditioning. I had two bottles explode, so clearly the first stage had not quite finished. There have not been any since that have done this. After about 3 weeks I decided to crack open a 'Tallie' and always decant to a Jug. She was like Mt Visuvius - nothing but froth and a rather unpleasant smell. Is this batch doomed for the drain, or will leaving it sit for 3 months or so settle things down? There isn't too much basic advice on the step by step process for Lagering, have I done something wrong? Or, is just a case of patience. BTW, chose this brew as I am a consumer of 4X Gold (Don't hold this against me - PLEASE...)
Nothin wrong with 4 X gold in the QLD heat spiderpig. I too have a Morgans QLD Gold in the cupboard ready to go as soon as I bottle a lager Ive had in secondary for a week. As earle says there is an adjustment to be made when temps are low. I got a corrections table with my hydometer as follows 10degs -0.002, 15degs -0.001 20degs none, 25degs +0.001, 25degs +0.003, 30degs +0.004 Also I noticed and have since read you will get a small burst of yeast action when going to secondary.

Is this batch doomed for the drain, or will leaving it sit for 3 months or so settle things down? There isn't too much basic advice on the step by step process for Lagering, have I done something wrong?

Hey Spiderpig,

I have completed a couple of "kit" lagers (Heineclone) using Saflager 23 and my normal routine is 2 weeks primary @ 12 C (strong sulphur smell at this stage), two days @ 15 - 18 C (rest) then 4 weeks secondary lagering @ 2 - 4 C, at which time I bulk prime and bottle. No bottle bombs yet, however carbonation was a little low on my first the second one was excellent.

If you are getting bombs you may want check the amount of priming sugar you are using as that is what is more likely to cause the explosive results.

Cheers to your beers!

I have completed a couple of "kit" lagers (Heineclone) using Saflager 23 and my normal routine is 2 weeks primary @ 12 C (strong sulphur smell at this stage), two days @ 15 - 18 C (rest) then 4 weeks secondary lagering @ 2 - 4 C, at which time I bulk prime and bottle. No bottle bombs yet, however carbonation was a little low on my first the second one was excellent.

If you are getting bombs you may want check the amount of priming sugar you are using as that is what is more likely to cause the explosive results.

Cheers to your beers!

sumo,

After bottling do you put your bottles back in the fridge to carb up or leave them at room temp.
And how long does it take to carbonate?

sumo,

After bottling do you put your bottles back in the fridge to carb up or leave them at room temp.
And how long does it take to carbonate?

I bottle and leave my in garage under a blanket under the bench for at least a month guessing the temperature between 13 - 20 C, never opened a bottle before the month. Two months is normal.

I read that at the lower temperature of lager you shouldn't need to use as much priming suger as there should be residual carbonation in the beer.

I bottle and leave my in garage under a blanket under the bench for at least a month guessing the temperature between 13 - 20 C, never opened a bottle before the month. Two months is normal.

I read that at the lower temperature of lager you shouldn't need to use as much priming suger as there should be residual carbonation in the beer.

correct, unless you do a diacetyl rest, which in raising the temperature up to 18-20 you will loose all the residual carbonation that you had at 10C.

beersmith can work with this to give you an accurate guide to how much priming sugar to use.

correct, unless you do a diacetyl rest, which in raising the temperature up to 18-20 you will loose all the residual carbonation that you had at 10C.

beersmith can work with this to give you an accurate guide to how much priming sugar to use.

I'll have to give beersmith a go, anything that helps with not having to undertaken algebra in the middle of my brew has to be good! :)

Back