Lager yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerva

Reaction score
Hi there once the cold weather comes i'm thinking of doing a Lager, but wondering on what does it taste and the best temp to ferment it at. i want to ferment it as low i can but not sure what yeast i would use and if my local home brew shop would have the yeast or is there a online site i can buy the stuff i need where my local home brew shop wont have it.

Now on a Lager what brand would i use i know there's coopers and others but not sure what is a nice one to do.

I'm thinking of adding Honey in it too about 250 grams and fresh mix berries. also to have a mouth feel to it. and what sugars i would used for it. 500 grams liquid malt or dry, 300 dextros, and not sure on the other 200 grams of sugar? or what other sugar i can add to it besides the sugar you get in supermarkets.

what sugar would i use to prime it. Dry Light Dalt, Dextros or other??

Cheers...

Coopers Lager Kit
1 kg LDM
300gm Dex
S-189 Yeast or what your HBS has
Ferment at 12c for about 3 weeks (till done) then drop temp to 1c for 1 week before bottling.
Dex for priming.
Good to drink from 4 weeks on. Best around 8 weeks.

yum beer said:
Coopers Lager Kit
1 kg LDM
300gm Dex
S-189 Yeast or what your HBS has
Ferment at 12c for about 3 weeks (till done) then drop temp to 1c for 1 week before bottling.
Dex for priming.
Good to drink from 4 weeks on. Best around 8 weeks.

Yob said:
Ate you planning an all extract or kit brew? Generally lagers ferment at about 12'c
Yob, im planing on using a kit and grains in for for extra flavor too. Yum yum Beer how can i drop it to 1c cos the only thing i have in winter is the kitchen where it does get pretty low. will it be pretty close to a Crown Lager or what even if i just use kit and grains no added hops.

hey mate.
there are a few ways go get the temp down, but to get it down to 1 degree with anything less than a fridge (you put the whole fermenter in the fridge) you will likely struggle. The reason you drop the temperature is to simulate the lagering process which gives lager beer its name.
this low temp over a period of time helps to drop the yeast out of suspension and helps clear up a few imperfections in your beer.

as far as brands to use, you can use any you like. If you get one from your homebrew store, try and get the freshest one you can. so look at the used by dates...
As far as sugars go, what yum beer suggested looked like a good spot for you to start on. The LDM (light dry malt) will give you beer flavour +body + alcohol. Dextrose will give you a little bit of flavour and body (but not much - practically nothing actually) and some alc.
Table sugar (cane sugar) will give you alc and little else. Its generally not good to use it in homebrewing (except to prime the bottles)

Depending on what type of lager you wanna make you could add some extra hops. if you want to make the beer more bitter, boil say 20grams of hallertauer for 40-60 min. if you want more flavour from them only boil for 5-10 min. for your boils, you should boil the hops in a solution of 100g LME to 1L of water. This helps to get the most from your hops.

Latest posts

Back