Lager Yeast In A Stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybusiness

Reaction score
So, there I was setting myself up for my first double brew day last weekend for my Christmas swap case brew (NSW). I opened my stout kits (morgans dockside stout) only to find a lager yeast in BOTH cans! WFT?! :huh:

Completely screwed up my plans as I don't really get much time between work/kids/family. So now I need to get a more to style yeast and my brew is set back a week. Bugger! <_<

See, the intent was to use the same recipe that I used last time cause I wanted to make (what I thought was) a good beer for the swap case. Last time I used the Morgans kit yeast for a change and was reasonably happy with the results. So now I need a substitute.

What are peoples thoughts on the best yeast to produce what I'm tasting is a lightly sweet stout from the following recipe.

1.7kg morgans dockside stout kit
1kg dex
1kg morgans dark crystal LME
100g roast barley (steeped 20min and boiled)
10ml licquorice extract for head retention (I may need more cause it doesn't seem to do all that much)
12 goldings teabag steped for 10 min.

I find as I drink this beer it bites me at first and then by half a glass I can't get enough of it.

I've read a couple of other posts about yeasts for stouts and there seems to be a pretty broad range of options to make a good stout but the variety leaves me a bit unsure about which way to go. Maybe just good old S04?

And finally, just to keep the post nice and long, what would it do if I did use the lager yeasts and just brewed at a higher temp?

Wow, took me a whole beer just to write this post.

-monkey

Several good commercial stouts are fermented with lager yeasts. Also I know of people who ferment stouts with lager yeasts regularly for competitions. The flavour contribution by the yeast in a stour kind of hides a bit behind the up-front roastiness and bitterness.

MFS.

if you are intent on using different yeast, any dry ale yeast from the site sponsors should do the job. i dont see any problems with using the kits yeasts though. if you have two packets, use em both.
on temps, probably try and keep it relatively cool, maybe 16C.

interesting mix using the dextrose and dark crystal lme. guess you've got both sides covered. plenty of fermentables and lots of body as well. have you thought of using both kits instead and just top up with some dex? just curious. hope it turns out well.
joe

The flavour contribution by the yeast in a stour kind of hides a bit behind the up-front roastiness and bitterness.

MFS.

exactly right. for a stout you (generally) are more interested in getting the malt flavours to show, and not as worried about how the yeast is going to influence. hence the kit "lager" yeast or a neutral ale yeast should be fine.
joe

Thanks guys, looks like I might have been unnecessarily concerned about the impact of the lager yeast. Seeing as I have them sitting there I might just give the lager yeasts a run.

-monkey

Latest posts

Back