Lager Incremental cube feeding

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A3k

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just cubed a double batch (2 cubes) of Vienna lager and will be pitching 2124.

To save hassle, I'd like to pitch enough yeast for one cube, then part way through ferment, add the second cube. The thought is that the yeast will multiply early in the ferment so there's enough yeast for the both cubes, without such an enormous starter.

Has anyone done this with good results? Is it important when it's done? Should I prevent or aim for additional oxygenation?

Any other tips?

Cheers
Alan

Not my personal experience but it is a commonly accepted technique. Google 'braukaiser drauflaussen'.
From my reading, the second batch is aerated.

Awesome, thanks manticle. I didn't think this was so out if the box that it wouldn't have been tried. My main concern was getting the clean flavour of a lager still.

There's heaps of info now I know what to look for. Looks like it's the way to go, and used for very similar reasons elsewhere.

Cheers, I'll post back with results after.

The only Pilsener I've done used this method. Fermentation was a success and the beer was good but it was drier was a bit lacking in hop flavour than I hoped for. This is almost certainly unrelated to the method and related to recipe and method (I used whirlpool hopping before cubing instead of my more usual cube hopping and wasn't sure how it would effect bitterness and hop flavour)

I've just tried to get back into this for my usual ale brewing but twice I've bought pairs of 10L cubes and both times the lids don't seal reliably when full of 90* wort. Anyone have a recommendation? Last ones were blueish willow cubes with the same large cap as most 20L cubes (supercheap auto).

I've been thinking of splitting more batches into multiple ferments with different late hopping but also that I can make 35L batches of smaller beers using 1x10L and 1x20L cubes on my system with no problem.

I often use 2 x 10 L cubes to do this after a local brewery told me they do a similar thing. Brew a batch one day, send to fermenter and pitch yeast, then brew a second batch the next day and run it into the same fermenter

Thanks guys, Sounds like a plan.
Is 24 hours a general choice? I'm doing a lager cold pitching, so am wondering if 48hrs may give it more time to build the yeast.

I'm sure the answers lie in the web pages is wanna read, but currently at the pub :)

Latest posts

Back