Lactose Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hey Gang.
Im trialing something that i hope may work out for me, and thats to get lactose to ferment out.
Being fully aware its non fermentable i got to thinking that if i added some lactase enzyme to the brew, it might break it down enough to see some action. Even if it only ferments out a bit i would be happy.
I bought a packet of 10 tabs called lacteeze, they were the chewable high strength type enzyme, and only 4.80$, so i figured bugger it, and squashed them down to small pieces and in they went with a kilo of lactose powder, plus other sugars.
(This is for an attempt at making milk sugar vodka by the way.. and yes, yes yes... i know)

Anyone else tried this before? In beers or etc?

Beer yeast wont metabolise Lactose, OK the enzyme you are adding splits the Lactose into its constituent simple sugars Glucose and Galactose, both of which yeast will metabolise just fine, in fact it prefers Galactose over Glucose.
So yes your experiment should work, depending on the efficiency of your enzymes.
Unless you are getting your Lactose for free I fail to see the point of buying an expensive sugar, buying the enzymes to reduce it back to fermentable simple completely fermentable sugars that that you could have brought for less at the start.

Have I missed the point, just looks like a hard way to do something that is really easy.

MHB

Because he can? =) Sounds interesting at least - so post results please. What are your quantities? What percentage wash are you aiming for?

Its certainly just a trial, im going through a weird phase at the moment, trying to find the perfect mix.
I seen a NZ distillery called broken shed or something make a pure milk sugar vok, and they claim its the smoothest, cleanest available, so i figured i would have a go at it.
I used SN9, wine yeast as opposed to beer, and its designed for higher alcohols and pretty neutral. Its merrily working this morning when i checked. I'll post back here if it works.

Latest posts

Back