Lack of head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think to witness an expert like brad in action is the best advice you could get.

May be worthwhile reading up mr Palmer on this, there is a difference between steeping and mashing that understanding may help you.

"Steeping differs from mashing in that there is no enzyme activity taking place to convert grain or adjunct starches to sugars. Steeping specialty grains is entirely a leaching and dissolution process of sugars into the wort. If grain with enzyme diastatic potential is steeped, that is mashing."

Mashing means not much more than soaking your grains in water of a known and controlled temperature so that enzymes can convert starches to fermentable sugars that works using enzymes as the catalyst. Steeping, is just a soaking process that pulls out solubles that add flavour and or body but does not involve enzyme activity.

Good luck.

I think to witness an expert like brad in action is the best advice you could get.
Ha ha, very far from expert, but happy to show the basics of AG or even a partial compared to steeping.

Cheers

bradsbrew said:
Hey Sticksy, I live close, have some gear you could have(read free) to do a mini mash and show you how simple it is.

Could even give you a kilo or two of fresh milled grain if it helps. If your up for a brewday you are more than welcome to come over and help with a brew. If you want to chip in for ingredients, about 15 bucks depending on brew, you can take a cube away.
that sounds great! have to sort a free day to do it.
id definitely chip in the dosh for a cube of goodness too!

is an electric (glass top) cook top able to be used for this?

also, whats the smallest amount you can boil with?

thanks for all the info everyone too!!

Gelding said:
hmm, I beg to differ here. It is to me, big time.
You gotta be kidding, right.

Urquell, the juice of angels has practically no head to speak of.....

I'm sorry, I could never describe a beer as yum or yummy ............ever.

And the Urquell pils that I have had in my travels have always had some head and lacing on the way down, less than an ale yes, but never nothing.

Thankyou, and goodnight.

bradsbrew said:
Hey Sticksy, I live close, have some gear you could have(read free) to do a mini mash and show you how simple it is. Could even give you a kilo or two of fresh milled grain if it helps. If your up for a brewday you are more than welcome to come over and help with a brew. If you want to chip in for ingredients, about 15 bucks depending on brew, you can take a cube away.

Some good info here http://aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/43-partial-mash-brewing/

Cheers Brad
What an offer!!!

sticksy said:
that sounds great! have to sort a free day to do it.
id definitely chip in the dosh for a cube of goodness too!

is an electric (glass top) cook top able to be used for this?

also, whats the smallest amount you can boil with?

thanks for all the info everyone too!!

I used to use a boil volume of about 8 litres, an electric stove should be able to boil that easily enough, although I found a Primus camping stove done a much better job as far as time taken to get to boil went.

And definitely take Brad up on his offer, seeing how simple an all grain brew day is first hand had me taking the leap within a couple of days.

Head retention? Lacing?

Never been able to get it much with kits, but have no problems with unhopped extract.

Hop oils maybe?

2014-01-08 10.38.11.jpg

Also I keg my beer, which for me, improves both.

Gelding said:
I'm sorry, I could never describe a beer as yum or yummy ............ever.
BLASPHEMER!

Be gone with you foul fiend. :angry2:

Back