Lacambre Project - Randy Mosher @ Anhc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
As part of his ANHC presentation later this year, Randy Mosher is conducting something called the "Lacambre Project".
The project is based on a book published (in French) in Brussels in 1851 "Trait Complet de la Fabrication des Bires" (which can be read online).
The basic idea is to read/translate and then brew (mostly) according to the instructions provided in the book, with the knowledge gained - and beer brewed - contributing to Mosher's presentation at ANHC in October.

As far as I'm aware AHB is the biggest collection of home-brewers in the country so I thought there may be a number of people here interested in participating in the Project.
Full details are available on the ANHC website Lacambre Project page.

There are already a number of recipes translated and posted on the Project page, so it's no problem if you you can't read French or translate - it's just a matter of brewing some of the translated recipes.

trs intressant!

pouvez vous aidez traduire :)

I wonder what hops would be most suited for brewing these beers? A lot of the recipes simply say, hops from Poperinge or Aalst. Maybe Hallertau?

J'ai tudi le franais pour 10 ans et je suis toujours ne peut pas aider

Bugger, too many technical/specialized words in it? I suppose, I have the same problem with some french cookbooks I've got.

Bugger, too many technical/specialized words in it?
Perhaps, or the fact I studied in Canada where we learned Quebec french vs France frence. Sorta like the queens english vs southern US states english (eg mississippi/kentucky etc)

Perhaps, or the fact I studied in Canada where we learned Quebec french vs France frence. Sorta like the queens english vs southern US states english (eg mississippi/kentucky etc)

They speak english in the southern US states? :p

I think the text is old french. I've had issues trying to translate old french chemistry texts (late 1800s, early 1900s). Even my french colleague at work couldn't work out some of the words.

My knowledge of french is poor despite living in Rennes for 6 months as a student. I was surrounded by people in the labs who were basically fluent in english and my downtime was spent in the local irish pub :party:

I don't know if it's the interpretation of the author's original style, but I must say that reading the 3 translated-recipes linked from the page above are amusing to read - it's like the author is telling a personalised story to a friend rather than providing instructions on how to brew.

But I'm, not sure I'm too fussed about the beer or production techniques however; complex mashing schemes that seem to be a combination of decoction and batch-sparging with boiled water (up to 4 times), and then interesting boil arrangements of 4.5, 5-10 or even up to 20 hours. It's no wonder that the author suggests the beer is "far from being very pleasant indeed, for it is bitter, harsh and somewhat astringent".

One thing that has not been mentioned in the translation (so far) is yeast. Given that the fermentation temperatures seem quite warm (over 20C) one would assume that the beer would have lots of character from whatever yeast was used - especially since Belgan yeasts are famous/infamous for the range of flavours and aromas. While there are quite a number of 'Belgian' yeasts on offer, many seem focused toward specialty Abby/Trappist beer and may or may not be appropriate to the styles that are being translated.

Back