Krome Dispense Tap Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wadey

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I have two Krome Dispense Faucets and was just wondering if any one had these and if so how do you pull them apart and what is the best cleaning method.

I have been pretty slack and have not cleaned the taps since new, so they have had about i would say 6 kegs through them and I am noticing that when I pour the first beer at the end of the week that the tap is a bit stiff to move, once you pour one though it frees up.

Also, how often should one clean the taps as well.

Thanks Wadey

Hi Guys.

I have two Krome Dispense Faucets and was just wondering if any one had these and if so how do you pull them apart and what is the best cleaning method.

I have been pretty slack and have not cleaned the taps since new, so they have had about i would say 6 kegs through them and I am noticing that when I pour the first beer at the end of the week that the tap is a bit stiff to move, once you pour one though it frees up.

Also, how often should one clean the taps as well.

Thanks Wadey

If you ask 10 people this question you'll get 10 different answers.

I don't have your sort of taps, but I can tell you what I do (or don't do).
Everytime I clean kegs, I run line cleaner through my taps.
I think the frequency of doing a full clean depends of a few things:
1. How keen you are. It's not a 2 minute job to do a complete strip down, so I put off as long as possible.
2. How clean you tap environment is. Mine are inside so they are kept clean. I know others have their keg fridge outside. I think you would need to clean more often if the taps are exposed to any dust.

I heard of people suddenly have lumps of "black shit" come out in their beer. A good indicator that you need to do something.

I wouldn't be too worried about stiff taps, as long as they don't accidently get left on and waste your beer.

Thanks Michael.

I also clean the lines at the end of each keg so I assume that helps. Kegerator is outside on the patio so as you said that might mean cleaning taps is required more often.

What should you clean them in once pulled apart?

Am hoping someone answers this one as I'm keen to know too.

I have Krome taps also, and I have been pushing sanitiser through them each time I finish a keg. Seems to have worked fine so far for me!

Cheers,
Matt

Are they this type?
c2031.jpg

If so, its pretty straight forward.
Unscrew handle, unscrew both collars , pull out lever, push out the moving bit, soak in PBW or nappysan and scrub.
Rinse, sanitise and re-assemble.
Done.

Well I have Celli taps and I would have to say it is a two minute job to pull down and clean. Not the first time maybe but once you know how, it is very simple.

I think that running sanitizer through them, as I have done in the past isn't a proper cleaning.

All taps end up with black mould feeding on the residual beer left in them after time and simply running a sanitiser through them in my experience will not clean them successfully. All taps benefit from being striped and cleaned properly.

Well I have Celli taps and I would have to say it is a two minute job to pull down and clean. Not the first time maybe but once you know how, it is very simple.

I think that running sanitizer through them, as I have done in the past isn't a proper cleaning.

All taps end up with black mould feeding on the residual beer left in them after time and simply running a sanitiser through them in my experience will not clean them successfully. All taps benefit from being striped and cleaned properly.

+1 to the above.

The black gunk / mould etc needs to be removed by pulling them apart fully.

try keeping a spray bottle with starsan (or whateve no-rinse sanatiser) near your dispensing station. at the end of your session spray a few squirts up the nozzle

i have the long spout adjustable taps from mybeershop and without doing this i get the same sticking issue

remembering to do this at the end of a session, however, is a bit hit and miss - dunno why :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back