Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackemup

Reaction score
Hi all
ok, i have a few questions concerning the krausen on a beer and what info can be gleaned from its appereance, longevity, size, shape and colour - if any. Does anybody know if different strains of yeast produce typical krausens and if the time a krausen is spent on top a beer indicates how quickly sugar is being converted to co2 and alcohol? im just curious if there is any reflections upon a wort that can be made from the characzeristics of a krausen, for example temperature or health of a yeast.

Any opinions are very much welcome

Cheers! ;)

I'm a Krausen watcher and find that for many yeasts it reflects the head formation I'll get with the finished beer. This is particularly so with the Belgian wit 3944, golden strong 1388, Chimay 1214 and London ale 1028. (There's a post going with a great photo of the brain pattern from the Yorkshire yeast in an open square fermenter - so this doesn't apply to all yeasts)

Fermentation activity is reflected by the Krausen formation and when It drops I know to take action, either rack, check SG, stir the bugger up to get a few more points etc. Krausen vigour varies from yeast strain to yeast strain - you get a lot more action out of Wy 3068, or Nottingham than you do out of some others - SO4 springs to mind as a quieter fermenting yeast.

Krausen can also drag up trub and other bits to the surface which may look unappetizing but aren't really a problem.

Like all things fermentation, the most accurate measure of sugar conversion is a gravity reading, but I find reading the Krausen is really helpful to assess how things are going and to prepare me for the next step in the process of making delicious home brew.

cheers

grant

If your yeast is a healthy good sized pitching size, then it usually results in a big krausen in ales (and wheat beers inparticular). Cant comment on lagers personally.

But also Ale yeasts are top cropping so should lead to more krausen generally I wouldve thought, conversely lager ales ferment at the bottom of the fermentor.

I was just about to ask a similar question. Ive got two wheats on the go at the moment, one five days in the primary and one going on nine days, five of which have been in the secondary. The latter still seems to have some form of activity going on in the way of frothy bubbles on the surface altough the gravity seems to have settled at 1010 for the last three days.
Im guessing its just a trait of the yeast (3944) / style.

some 3068 in action not 24 into fermentation....

3068_001.jpg

Latest posts

Back