• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

KRACANUP HOP RHIZOMES FOR SALE

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy2B

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I have about 1 kilogram of clean Kracanup rhizome ready to go. By clean, I mean it is pure rhizome with no dead weight on it. My standard price is $15 for 100 grams, or $50 for 500 grams.

WHAT IS KRACANUP LIKE?

I grow 3 varieties, Kracanup, Cascade, and Victoria. Those of you who have grown Cascade and Victoria would be familiar with the large solid cones they produce, and Kracanup is exactly the same. Of the many varieties I've tried, these 3 stand alone. Oddly, they are also the best of the flavour and aroma hops I have grown.

The flavour of Kracanup is very pleasant, and best described as a mixture of fruity and floral.

The rhizomes are pretty big. I think there's 4 or 5 that make up the whole kilo, but would need to check. I've tried to price them to suit any interested in growing them commercially, so get in quick.

Message me if interested.
WP_20200812_13_36_47_Pro.jpg

Can you tell me what they are similar to? I've never heard of them before but would be interested in giving them a go?

Hi Kadmium,

That is a tough question. I would actually describe Kracanup as being not similar to other varieties. I know that there are not many reviews online because it is a relative newcomer to the list of available varieties for the home grower.

The only way I can describe the flavour is that it is a mix of fruity and floral and very very pleasant. It is low alpha like Cascade, and will work very well as a late addition and dry hopped.

It is also up there with Cascade and Victoria with big cones and excellent yields. The 3 varieties look almost identical.

You really need to try for yourself.

Damn. Never grown hops or had to deal with em before. I'll probably give it a miss this time, because my SO will flip her lollies if I start growing hops, just bought 50kg of malt and a mill so...

Damn. Never grown hops or had to deal with em before. I'll probably give it a miss this time, because my SO will flip her lollies if I start growing hops, just bought 50kg of malt and a mill so...
you should learn how to grow them. might help to keep up to your consumption rate. do you have a spare 4 or 5 hectares lying around??

Last edited:
Good drainage, lots of water, and string to climb on. It's pretty easy.

Good drainage, lots of water, and string to climb on. It's pretty easy.
i'd take you up, but bris is too tropical (or so goes the longstanding advice).
bummer
if i was in vic, tas, act, i'd have taken it up years ago

you should learn how to grow them. might help to keep up to your consumption rate. do you have a spare 4 or 5 hectares lying around??
I actually laughed out loud my wife woke up and had a go at me!

4.5kg crop could get me the first dryhop done I guess. But where do I buy the other 4kg?

Just a small house, small backyard. Already got chillies and tomatoes growing!

Will keep an eye out, perhaps if you have a good batch and a few spare I could buy some dried off you?

4.5kg crop could get me the first dryhop done I guess. But where do I buy the other 4kg?

Will keep an eye out, perhaps if you have a good batch and a few spare I could buy some dried off you?
window sills? put 'em in pots. get rid of the tomatoes (micro-economic theory). what about the roof??

i'd take you up, but bris is too tropical (or so goes the longstanding advice).
bummer
if i was in vic, tas, act, i'd have taken it up years ago
As far as I am aware hops are grown by homebrewers in Brisbane without any problems. If you look back at the 'Show us your hop garden' threads, many on this site have grown them and done well. If you're keen go for it.

Awesome, I have 30 varieties of tomatoes started for this season, and I grow chillies as well.

Actually, growing some extra Kracanup and selling the cones through here would be a good way to get some reviews up online. I think it is a great hop.

If you're using as much hops as you say, you would probably save money growing them. Some people grow them on mesh up against a fence. They make an excellent screen.

As far as I am aware hops are grown by homebrewers in Brisbane without any problems. If you look back at the 'Show us your hop garden' threads, many on this site have grown them and done well. If you're keen go for it.
okie, i'll give the idea a re-visit. always been impressed by the few times i've managed to acquire fresh hops over pellets. cheers

Awesome, I have 30 varieties of tomatoes started for this season, and I grow chillies as well.

Actually, growing some extra Kracanup and selling the cones through here would be a good way to get some reviews up online. I think it is a great hop.

If you're using as much hops as you say, you would probably save money growing them. Some people grow them on mesh up against a fence. They make an excellent screen.
id order some for sure. I'll pay $10 for 100g and take 200g so $20?

id order some for sure. I'll pay $10 for 100g and take 200g so $20?
OK, I will drop the price to $10 for 100 grams for everyone ordering 200 grams or more through this site.

Check your inbox, I'll message you details for PayPal. Let me know if you prefer to do a bank deposit. I'd like to get these into the mail today for you.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sorry I meant for the hops, not for the rhizomes!

Sorry I meant for the hops, not for the rhizomes!
LOL, I was thinking about selling the cones for something like $25-$30 for 500 grams. If you prefer we can go with your price :cheers:

okie, i'll give the idea a re-visit. always been impressed by the few times i've managed to acquire fresh hops over pellets. cheers
OK, if you can let me know as soon as possible. Be good to mail them today, as I am heading to the farm tomorrow and I am thinking I might replant what is left tomorrow. Express needs to get mailed by 4 pm Adelaide time. If you're in Brisbane and not out in the sticks, you should get it tomorrow.

They will definitely grow in Brisbane no problem at all. They won't grow somewhere like Cairns.

Thanks to everyone for the enquiries, the last of the rhizomes look like they have found a home with Hopasauraus.

Back