• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

FRESH RHIZOMES: CASCADE, COLUMBUS AND VICTORIA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy2B

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have the following varieties available:
  • Cascade;
  • Columbus;
  • Victoria; and
  • Cluster.
The stuff we all know as Cluster here in Australia is probably/may be Pride of Kent. I don't have a lot of it so get in early if you want that.

Victoria is good if you are trying to make beer similar to Torpedo IPA or Hop Hunter IPA. Just chuck in 100 grams of cones at flame out, no chill.

The price is $15 per 100 grams of rhizome, and postage is $11 for up to 400 grams of rhizome. Payment will be by bank deposit. It may be possible to do drop offs at local shopping centre car parks if suitable. I'm in South Australia. Message me if interested so we can arrange payment and delivery.

I'm trying to upload a photo to show what 100 grams of rhizome looks like, but my files are too big. Will get a photo up as soon as I work out how to do it.

Cheers.

PM sent for-
200g Cascade
200g Victoria
Thanks Hoppy

WP_20180507_13_51_16_Pro (3).jpg

OK, so I managed to get a photo up finally. The stubby is a 330 ml. The 5 bits of rhizome on the left are equal to 100 grams, and the large rhizome on the right of photo is 200 grams. Most of the rhizomes are a similar size to the pieces on the left.

I will try and mix up the orders as much as possible so that people get an average of the sizes. There are not many the size of the one on the right, and I won't send out that large thing unless anyone specifically requests it. That large piece may end up being cut into 2 pieces in order to make it easier to mail.

The rhizomes in picture are Cascade. As you can see from the photo, all tuberous bits of roots have been cut off and what you are buying is pure rhizome.

Cheers.

Just thought I would do a quick update...

So far I have sent out one lot of rhizomes today. My bank has been a bit slow clearing payments that have been made. I expect to see a bunch of payments tomorrow so will be most likely mailing out several packages tomorrow. I will message people with their tracking number when I mail their orders out.

Cheers.

Hi hoppy, can you please let me know if there is any left after you fill the orders? I have a work mate who is after anything he can get. Tx

G'day,
If there's any Cascade or Colmbus left I'd love to grab 100g of each. (sorry - haven't figured out the messaging yet :/ )

G'day,
If there's any Cascade or Colmbus left I'd love to grab 100g of each. (sorry - haven't figured out the messaging yet :/ )

Hi Naboo,

I have only just noticed your message. I still have 100 grams of Columbus and lots of Cascade. (Someone has ordered 200 grams of the Columbus, and it that goes through the 100 grams I can give you will be the last of it.) I don't seem to be able to message you directly. Maybe you need to be on here for a week or something. I have no idea what is going on with that.

Hey hoppy2b,

Still keen for the Colombus so I'll grab it for sure. I've picked up some Cascade since posting so I don't need any more of that.

I've only been on a little while so that could well be it. I'm not sure how to organise details and payment without a PM? If you don't mind waiting we'll see if the message feature becomes active in the next couple of days. If not, and you want to sell it to someone else, that's cool too.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi folks,

I have the following varieties available:
  • Cascade;
  • Columbus;
  • Victoria; and
  • Cluster.
The stuff we all know as Cluster here in Australia is probably/may be Pride of Kent. I don't have a lot of it so get in early if you want that.

Victoria is good if you are trying to make beer similar to Torpedo IPA or Hop Hunter IPA. Just chuck in 100 grams of cones at flame out, no chill.

The price is $15 per 100 grams of rhizome, and postage is $11 for up to 400 grams of rhizome. Payment will be by bank deposit. It may be possible to do drop offs at local shopping centre car parks if suitable. I'm in South Australia. Message me if interested so we can arrange payment and delivery.

I'm trying to upload a photo to show what 100 grams of rhizome looks like, but my files are too big. Will get a photo up as soon as I work out how to do it.

Cheers.
Hi mate i would like some vic and some cascade if you have left can meet you anywhere in SA with cash if that suits ? Cheers Tam

I would love 200g of Cascade if you have any left. I have messaged (I think)

Cheers,
Lee

Would love 200g of Columbus. Also haven't worked out messaging.

I have 300 left but someone has ordered 200 and I am waiting for them to pay. I should probably send the Columbus Naboo's way as he has staked a claim to it first.

I think you messaged saying you would take Cascade if no Columbus left. I can do that.

I still have plenty of Victoria.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Interested in Cascade rhizome, if available.
Like many find, the messenging option is ****
How long before the rhizome can develop to produce worthwhile quantities for home brewing purposes?

Interested in Cascade rhizome, if available.
Like many find, the messenging option is ****
How long before the rhizome can develop to produce worthwhile quantities for home brewing purposes?

I have typically gotten 1.5 kg of wet cones off an averaged sized Cascade rhizome in the first season. For me they dried down to about a quarter of the fresh wet weight.

All I did was dig a whole, chuck in 15-20 litres of sheep manure, plant the rhizome on top, water generously, and string up as many bines as possible. It is important to string up as many bines as you can, and make sure you have some room around the individual bines to allow penetration of light. You can run 2 or 3 bines up a string if you wish. (It depends on the variety as to how many you can successfully get to run up each string.) You will get bigger bunches of cones in the second and subsequent years, which should give you a higher yield.

The main mistake people make is not watering enough, especially in hot weather.

I was letting peterlonz know I had messaged him.

Latest posts

Back