Kooinda Black Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing by your response that you wouldn't

Thanks for clearing that up!

Brewing this again this morning. I'd forgotten how much Nelson this recipe swallows up when doing a quad batch. :D :chug:

I have the grain bill here ready to go as well and it will be the third time I've brewed this recipe. Great job Punkin, it's an excellent beer, so much Nelsony goodness!

Thanks mate, just threw the first addition ion then, the shed smells righteous.

punkin said:
Brewing this again this morning. I'd forgotten how much Nelson this recipe swallows up when doing a quad batch. :D :chug:
I brewed this a few weeks ago for the Vic Case Swap & it was the most hops I've ever used in a single batch.

I'm brewing it again right now but my digi scales just shat emself so I'm not sure how accurate I can be with my hop additions.

Yep, 620 grams of flowers to go on my compost after this lot has fermented out. :D

blackipa3.jpg

Could you share the water profile you use to brew this one? Not getting much help from Google on brewing black IPA's.

No mate, i'm not advanced enough for water profiles. Just use tap water from our town supply, sorry.

so i can use this recipe for a standard 23lt batch?

You will just have to scale it down mate. Don't use the 80+ litre recipe for 23 litres unless you're trying to invent a new type of jet fuel. :p

ahh crap i thought that was for a standard batch lol

23 litres no chill scaled back by brewmate.

blackipa23l.PNG

I really have to try this beer again. So many people love it and your recipe looks awesome punkin. When I had it on tap at the GB during Good Beer Week I REALLY didn't like it. Two sips and I left the pot on the bar cuz it was dank in a foul way, to my tastebuds. Maybe this is one of those beers I'll like better in the bottle (Red Hill's Scotch Ale being another).

I think its better on tap. but each to their own. Give it a go in bottles and see how u go. its a ripper beer. I usually go to kooinda on a fri night after work and have a few pots of it.

punkin said:
No mate, i'm not advanced enough for water profiles. Just use tap water from our town supply, sorry.
Just in case you're interested, I have been working on this for the last 3 days, and have invented a Black IPA water profile:

Calcium: 65
Magnesium: 15
Sodium: 30
Sulfate: 140
Chloride: 10
Carbonate: 165

High in sulfate to accentuate the hops, but also high in residual alkalinity (~80) to offset the dark grains in the mash. The lowest sodium possible while maintaining ion balance, to avoid malt flavours taking precedence. "Very bitter" sulfate to chloride ratio, perfect for a nice bitey IPA.

I'm hoping somebody with more knowledge than myself can comment that I am wrong, but from what I am able to discern, this is as close to a "perfect" black IPA profile as I can calculate with the tools I have available to me. The sulfate is much lower than I normally brew an IPA/pale ale, but as high as is reasonable to maintain residual alkalinity. Of course if you steep the dark grains separate to the mash you can just use a standard IPA profile, but I was aiming this one for all the poor bastards like myself on Google trying to find a dark mash IPA profile.

I brewed and kegged this recipe about a week ago. Carbed up a bottle with my carb cap and tried it and it was crap. Very overpowering with the 3 grams a litre of Nelson.
Anyway a week later I've tried what's in the keg and OMG it's freakin awesome.

Didn't quite get the IBU that I wanted which is an ongoing issue I'm having with my brews but certainly the dry hopping has given this beer a fantastic aroma.

Pulling up an old thread but I was just curious punkin do you whirlpool your 0 min addition?

I also notice you no chill, have you tried cube additions with this one?

Latest posts

Back