Kooinda Black Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool.

I had a shocker black ipa the other day. i bought a bottle of Beastie Boys.

Didn't realise Beastie Boys made beer! :p
The Yeastie boys black IPA isn't as good as the Kooinda!
I only wish Mountain Goat would make another B-IPA, the Thorny Goat has gotta be my favorite B-IPA.

I only wish Mountain Goat would make another B-IPA, the Thorny Goat has gotta be my favorite B-IPA.

Their coffee IPA was bloody good to....But nothing beats Kooindas black IPA.

I totally rate both the kooinda and yeasty's, though i dont think i prefer one over the other. they are different and both absolutley top notch. I find the pot kettle like a hoppy irish stout or hoppy schwarzbier, where the full nelson is just big, dirty goodness.

missed the Mt Goat offering unfortunatley, will be looking out for it.

...ohh man, my keg o black IPA just blew. sob sob

How did you go with this rowy? Have you kegged it yet, or still in the fermenter?

Looking to brew on Sunday if work doesn't get in the way.

Any last minute advice from anyone? Says a balance value of 2.73 whatever that is (just about to search)

I thought i would mash at 65 to add some body, but that's about the extent of my brewing knowledge and therefore i'm listening to all advice....

Black ipa2 (Cascadian Dark Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.065 (P): 15.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 7.07 %
Colour (SRM): 34.0 (EBC): 67.0
Bitterness (IBU): 66.4 (Average)

81.23% Pale Ale Malt
5.05% Wheat Malt
3.91% Crystal 120
3.91% Victory
2.95% Chocolate
2.95% Wheat Malt, Midnight

1.9 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.4 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.8 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
2.7 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I have some Nottingham yeast here too, but i kinda prefer the 05 in my ales?

I'd mash higher then 65 if you want abit more body. 65 is usually what I'd mash at for light bodied APA or similar. I not saying it turn out crap at 65 in fact I'd say it'll be fine, but I'd look at going atleast 66+ for more body.

Noted, just mashed in at 66.4C

Sorry didn't see the post yesterday Punkin. I went ahead with it and its CCing at the moment. It tasted great out of the Fermenter. I changed the hops around a bit. What I can tell you is that malt bill smells great!

Noted, just mashed in at 66.4C

Nailed it!
I'm gonna make this recipe once I get around a couple of others I have planned. Cant wait to see/hear about your results

Rowy post a pic once that bad boys in a glass!

Nailed it!
I'm gonna make this recipe once I get around a couple of others I have planned. Cant wait to see/hear about your results

Rowy post a pic once that bad boys in a glass!

Consider it done!

Brew tasted fantastic off the kettle. Brew day seemed to go fine and i hit all my targets except one and that was the OG.

Not sure what happened and i've never failed to get within a point of target before, but i got 1060-1061 instead of 1065?

I did lose some heat from my esky as the lid is warping a little and didn't seal, so starting at 66.4 C i had 63C after an hour. Probably should have used the hot stick to put some heat back into it half way (or fixed the esky).

Would that account for such a large efficiency drop?

The sparge was really free running, i''ve never seen a grain bed run off so quick on my system before. That was the only other difference i noticed.

Will probably make the missus happier having a 6.5% beer instead of a 7% one anyway, but will it affect the taste/body of the beer?

Any of you guys tasted your brew yet out of the bottle?

Keen to hear how the bitterness and hoppiness is compared to the original?

Ive saved some yeast from a Kooinda black IPA which Im goin to use when I do this bew. Anyone have an idea as to what type of yeast it might be?

Also whats the suggested size starter that I should start off with? Ive only got about 4 mm of yeast in a urine sample jar so will a 100ml starter do or is that too much?

Mines gassing in the keg atm, may have a sneak tonight or tommorow. Tasting from the fermenter i think i'm getting bitterness from the choc that shouldn't be there. If that's still there from the tap (and i think it will be) i'll drop the choc and up the midnight wheat for my next brew.

I don't think you'll go wrong with us05.

Ive saved some yeast from a Kooinda black IPA which Im goin to use when I do this bew. Anyone have an idea as to what type of yeast it might be?

Also whats the suggested size starter that I should start off with? Ive only got about 4 mm of yeast in a urine sample jar so will a 100ml starter do or is that too much?

Didn't realise Beastie Boys made beer! :p
The Yeastie boys black IPA isn't as good as the Kooinda!

Mountain Goat Throny Goat was the Boss. So much so its the one I tried to clone for the case swap. hope they make it again so i can compare.

I've only had it the once, so can't call myself an expert, but this is more a hop-driven than malt driven beer.

I imagine something neutral, US-05 or Wyeast 1272, should ferment then get the hell out of the way, so the hops/malt can shine.

I seriously doubt it's any proprietary yeast, given the scale of the brewery.

As for your sample jar (hope you gave it a good clean first :D ) generally, you want to use steps of 10. So go from 10ml to 100ml to 1lt, etc. I'd just go for another sample jar's worth or wort, let the yeast ferment that out, then step up to 200-250ml, then up to 2lt.

I would recommend stepping it up much more. 100ml starter then 1L starter (at least). MrMalty's calculator is your friend.

Did you end up posting your recipe Charst?

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=56786

It had a Power of hop smell then flavour went missing in the middle followed by a nice choc as you swallow. bitterness was present but not firm. wouldn't change the IBU's.

all in all it came out pretty well but next time I do it ill up the Crystal and Start some additions earlier in the boil to get some more flavour hops in there.

Mashed at 65 to memory but will mash a touch higher next time

Sneak taste last night. It still has some carbing to do and it needs some time in the keg to settle and combine a little.

Atm it seems to jump out with the malts first and then hops some more of the malty sweetness and then another blast of hops. I think it will be good, very good.

The suprise factor is definately there, you are just expecting a different flavour when looking at the beer than what you get, sort of an illusionist trick. Not fully fooled though as the choc lends a grain whack that doesn't need to be there (although i like the flavour) and i will up the midnight as i expected next time to increase the illusion.

High hopes for this one in a fortnight and extra high hopes for the next tweak. :icon_cheers:

Sneak taste last night. It still has some carbing to do and it needs some time in the keg to settle and combine a little.

Atm it seems to jump out with the malts first and then hops some more of the malty sweetness and then another blast of hops. I think it will be good, very good.

The suprise factor is definately there, you are just expecting a different flavour when looking at the beer than what you get, sort of an illusionist trick. Not fully fooled though as the choc lends a grain whack that doesn't need to be there (although i like the flavour) and i will up the midnight as i expected next time to increase the illusion.

High hopes for this one in a fortnight and extra high hopes for the next tweak. :icon_cheers:

Just had a sneaky of mine out of the bottle. I agree with the comments on the choc punkin. It's not Kooinda but I think its going to be a bloody good beer. Mine definitely needs more time though.

Latest posts

Back