Kooinda Black Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a fermenter full of a Black IPA using a very similar grain bill to the one mentioned previously, although used galaxy, citra and chinook for the hopping due to my excess of all three of these hops

Tastes reaaaal nice from the hydro tube and will only get better after its kegged and carbed for a month or so I recon.

Really looking forward to this one and love the little bit of nutty-ness that the midnight wheat provides

Real happy thats its not just a seasonal grain anymore (IIRC)

Sponge

Started drinking this keg last night. It is sensational.

It's the first beer i've developed with the right balance and fitting in perfectly to a complete flavour. Sorta the difference i get tween smurtos golden and my own golden. The seamless flavour that the Dr's recipe creates is definately not matched by my similar recipe that seems to jumble.

I'm going to put this into the RDB as my first addition to the knowledge bank here and proud of it i am. :lol:

I'll add a picture tommorow. B)

Was really looking forward to this one............guess what a f--king infection so my first ever attempt at a Black IPA went down the dunny :angry:

Do you know what was the cause of infection Humulus?
Nah mate the krausen on top of the fermenter looked normal,when i checked the gravity and tasted the hydro sample it just wasnt right,so i let the gravity go stable and racked off and mate the smell was not good.Hard to describe just not right so i bit the bullet and down the dunny it went.
I could have had a slip up in my cleaning/sterilization dont know,the the old fermenter went into the bin and so did the cube.When i get a chance ill give this brew another go.
It was fermented at 18/22 max with us-05,i used frozen drink bottles to try keep the temp stable as my ferment fridge is at 10dg with a couple of pilsners in it...maybe the changes in temp caused it(bloody stupid weather here in Sydney)
Oh well its not the first but hopefully will be the last infection :ph34r:

Well just finished my last glass of this. The malt bill is perfect. I didn't dry hop enough I reckon. Will use NS next time as well.

I'm on my last keg, will be brewing again shortly.

i'll post up the next recipe when i brew it, i've made some changes that i want to try, but can also heartily reccomend the recipe as brewed.

I even put it in the database :rolleyes:

I'm on my last keg, will be brewing again shortly.

i'll post up the next recipe when i brew it, i've made some changes that i want to try, but can also heartily reccomend the recipe as brewed.

I even put it in the database :rolleyes:

What's its name on the database punkin?

Thanks guys, yes as the link say's i just called it Punkins Cascadian Dark Ale.

Yes, i don't know much about yeasts and my palate is no where near refined enough to be able to say i can taste any difference. Use what you think appropriate as i have no idea.

Dry yeast is just too easy for me and i buy it by the brick. :)

The dry yeasts are easier/less hassle but I find 1272 flocs better than us-05, and I guess I'm just used to dicking around making starters etc. Either way this recipe looks like a nice drop

I'm keen to brew this for the Vic Case Swap, but can't access the Recipe DB.

Punkin, I noticed you said you'd made changes to the recipe on Page 1 of this thread. Can you please let me know what they were?

Black IPA1 (Cascadian Dark Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.060 (P): 14.7

Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (P): 2.6

Alcohol (ABV): 6.52 %

Colour (SRM): 31.3
(EBC): 61.7

Bitterness (IBU): 67.5 (Average)

78% Pale Ale Malt

5% Carafa II malt

5% Wheat Malt

4% Biscuit

4% Chocolate, Pale

4% Crystal 120
1.8 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

1.4 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

1.8 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

2.7 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66.5C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

This is the one i use. It's a regular, i will have to brew this week as i am out of most cubes including these, marathon coming up...

Punkins Cascadian Black 1 (Cascadian Dark Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.066 (°P): 16.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.57 %
Colour (SRM): 34.5 (EBC): 67.9
Bitterness (IBU): 66.0 (Average)

81.23% Pale Ale Malt
5.05% Wheat Malt
3.91% Crystal 120
3.91% Victory
2.95% Chocolate
2.95% Wheat Malt, Midnight

1.9 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.4 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.8 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
2.7 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Thanks mate! I'll buy the grains I dont have this week & get it down on the weekend

You are very welcome.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Hi Punkin,

a couple more questions:

Do you do a d-rest & cold crash this beer & at what stage did you dry hop?

breakbeer said:
Hi Punkin,

a couple more questions:

Do you do a d-rest & cold crash this beer & at what stage did you dry hop?
Why would you d-rest an ale fermented at 20 deg?

Back