Kolsch tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brewing a Kolsch and need some advice.

I plan to ferment for 2 weeks (or until done) and then cold crash as low as possible in my fermenting fridge for a week.

I will add gelatin in the last couple of days then in keg, carbonate and wait a month for consumption.

Is this correct? This is my first beer I've kegged and my first time 'lagering'

what yeast do you plan to use and what fermentation temp?

I tend to add the gelatine the day after cold crashing and then leave it for a week or as long as you can. I find the gelatine works better when added to already chilled beer but still needs a few days to clear. You will get the best results if you can chill the beer close to 0C or even -1C during lagering: the yeast won't be active but that doesn't really matter for a kolsch because you ferment at about 15C and if you give it a few days to clean up once FG is hit you will be fine.

Hey mate, I'm using a German ale dry yeast (craftbrewer)

I will cold crash and then gelatin once cool.

I can probably get close to 0 degrees in the kegerator. I think what my question is is it ok to lager in a keg under pressure? Particularly after cold crashing out a large portion of the yeast.

Yes I do it all the time. I cold crash all my lagers for one week in the fermenter before transferring to the keg and lagering for a further month or longer.

Ben1 said:

I plan to ferment for 2 weeks (or until done) and then cold crash as low as possible in my fermenting fridge for a week.

I will add gelatin in the last couple of days then in keg, carbonate and wait a month for consumption.

Is this correct? This is my first beer I've kegged and my first time 'lagering'
Hi Ben1,
No need to put numbers on times. (Its a pet hate of mine. e.g. ferment for 14 days!!) Some people declare their beer is best after 1 month in the keg. It may be so, but thats because they have (hopefully) tried it at stages and come to that conclusion.
Having a blanket 'rule' of X days for this and Y days for that is a bad idea in my opinion. Just sample along the way and decide whats best for you.
I notice you put until done in brackets. Thats really the only statement you need. Dont expect 14 days to be 'right'. It is more likely to be a safe bet, but in my experience, 14 days is probably 7 more than I need!
As for lagering under pressure - opinions differ, but I prefer not. I just purge the headspace and have a very low pressure, just enough to ensure a seal. Then I will leave for at least 1 week. I know from experience theres no point sampling before then. Start tasting after a week, then every few days after that until you like what you get. Thats the point I will gas up and consume. Leaving beers for too long can result in you missing them at their peak. Once you have done the same recipe over and over you will get to know whats best for that beer.
I think thats where people come up with lager for 1 month, lager for 3 months, gas it for 3 days @ X pressure. Just their experience, rather than straight out of the homebrewing rule book.
Enjoy your Kolsch. Its an awesome beer.

Thanks for the response McKenry! I agree regarding times and will taste as I go.

I might give this one a go under pressure and maybe the next one not under and see how it affects it :)

Don't forget to lift the temp up toward the end of ferment to encourage attenuation and munching up diacetyl etc. I've just done one of these but really enjoyed it. I think it was probably nicest after about a month in the keg but I enjoyed sampling along the way. The German ale clears up really nicely too.

Ben1 said:
Hi Ben1,
Some beers need the specific yeast. I think Kolsch is one of those beers.

Maybe think about the Kolsch yeast, Wyeast 2565 if you do the beer again.

I'm sure yours will be a great beer and with the advice above.

Brewman_ said:
Hi Ben1,
Some beers need the specific yeast. I think Kolsch is one of those beers.

Maybe think about the Kolsch yeast, Wyeast 2565 if you do the beer again.

I'm sure yours will be a great beer and with the advice above.
I can second the Wyeast 2565 as making a great Kolsch. I've just kegged another batch, though this time fermented with the White Labs equivalent. It's still a bit early to tell, but the taste seems the same, but different? Anyway, one of my favourite beers to have on tap.

Gratuitous Kölsch picture, for illustration purposes.

Beer from the Brewman, consumed about 2 days ago.

Kölsch.jpg

Cheers guys.

I've been a little hesitant to use the liquid yeasts as I haven't made a starter before. Hence the German ale dry yeast. It's probably time though I gave it a go and to be honest, it actually looks reasonably easy I think I've just been lazy.

Depending on the freshness of the yeast I maybe even could have gotten away with just throwing the yeast in.

Back