Knead it or Araldite for Mash fitting?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to mount an STC probe into a fitting for a HERMS type setup.
I came across this thread which is exactly what I was thinking of doing:

https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/thermowell-questions.62738/

But I'm wondering if Araldite or 2 part epoxy, is actually the best solution? Perhaps Knead-It would have less chance of giving off flavours as the 'steel' version is supposed to handle 120C? I've read that Araldite tends to soften around the 75C mark, which to mean suggest that it could leech out some nasties?

What do ya'll think?

Cheers
Hunt

That thread suggests using it within the thermowell itself. This will have no contact with the wort so won't matter too much what you use - I wouldn't use anything though. A correctly sized probe and thermowell will still allow sufficient heat transfer - and will still mean you can remove / replace the sensor if need be.

If you don't want to do any welding you will need a weldless thermowell.

DO NOT use epoxy on anything that comes in contact with the wort. I dumped almost 100l of band aid flavour beer until I worked out that it was the epoxy sealant the manufacturer used on my kettle element was the culprit.

Weldless thermowell is the way to go as Chappo stated.

Thanks for the replies.
I have bought some JB Weld (before reading your replies). Would this be OK? Or still a no go?

If a no go still, does anyone have any suggestions for a local supplier for a thermowell of sorts, that fits into an elbow, that can ship within a few days to Melbourne?

Cheers again.

Hunt

I thought that JB weld was ok to use..I hope it is cause I have it in a project nearly ready for it's virgin mission. Stacks of peeps in the US that use it

Yeah that's what I thought. It has a much higher temp tolerance (+250C) to epoxy or araldite. So hopefully that means that at the 'low' mash temp that it will be exposed to it won't leech any nasties out.
I thought that JB weld was ok to use..I hope it is cause I have it in a project nearly ready for it's virgin mission. Stacks of peeps in the US that use it

Yeah that's what I thought. It has a much higher temp tolerance (+250C) to epoxy or araldite. So hopefully that means that at the 'low' mash temp that it will be exposed to it won't leech any nasties out.
I'll let you know if I die

Latest posts

Back