Kitchen Sink Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleJoe

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for some help with the hop profile of my "Kitchen Sink" pale ale. The idea being that I throw all the hops at my disposal at it. ie: the kitchen sink. Some of these I've never combined together before, e.g Galaxy with EKG & Fuggles.

I am hoping to finish with a sessionable ale with moderate bitterness, 25-35IBUs from a 22l batch. If possible I'd like to include all hops in some form or other to keep true to the idea. Intend to keep the yeast fairly neutral such as a US05 or 1056.

In the fridge I have:

Fuggles 23g
Centennial 28g
Cascade 34g
EKG 64g
Galaxy 67g

My initial thoughts are:

25g Centennial @ 60 mins
20g Fuggles @ 60 mins
30g EKG @ 20 mins
20g Galaxy @ 2 mins
20g Cascade @ 2 mins

Thanks.

Hook into it mate. If it were me, I'd use all 28gms of Centennial, all 23gms of Fuggles and make the Galaxy and Cascade additions 10 mins to give it that little bit more bitterness. No ppoint holding onto 3gm of Cent and 3gms of Fuggles. Dry hop with the remaining 14gms of Cascade just because it's there, and depending on your grist, balance the extra bitterness with another 50gms of crystal.

You could make something like little creatures pale ale with that. I'd bitter with the EKG then use the rest for flavour/aroma although I would probably leave out the fuggles.

Thanks slcmorro and Mickcr250 for your ideas. I'm also unsure what to do with the Fuggles, hence using them to bitter. However, I do like the idea of bittering with EKG and using the rest for late additions. Considering swapping the centennial with the goldings.

Now to work on the grain bill.

Something simple should do mate like:

3.5kgs Pils/Ale/Pale/Vienna/Maris
0.5kgs Wheat/Carapils
0.25kgs Crystal

Had something quite similar but prepared to take advice on this.

Starting with.
80% Pale Malt
10% Munich
10% Crystal

Maybe drop the crystal to 5%

And make up the remainder with either the Munich or the Pale.

When I was a kid - I mixed all the colours expecting a wondrous concoction. I got a brown/purple muck.
I tried again with other colours - mixing with vigour and hope - funny - I got the same brown/purple muck.

It happens with spices in cooking and I guess it would be the same with hops.
After a certain saturation - its just the flavour equivalent to brown/purple muck.

Now this one has had three weeks to bottle condition, thought I should close this thread off.

Finished beer has come up pretty well. I missed my volumes (new rig) so it has a lower gravity and has lost some punch but is still a very drinkable ale. Next time I will add a little more ooomph into the grain bill, and get the volumes right.

Final recipe: 19l
3.5kg - Golden Promise
0.4kg - Munich 1
0.25kg - Crystal (150EBC)

Hops
25g Golding @ 60 mins
20g Cascade @ 10 mins
20g Galaxy @ 10 mins
10g Centennial @ 10 mins

Dry Hop
15g Cascade @ 5 days
15g Galaxy @ 5 days

Yeast
Bry 97

Now to drink some!! Got to free up bottles for my summer ale. :)

i was thinking about a similar idea the other day to use up some hops ive had for a while so i hope you dont mind if i hijack your thread.i do want to do an extract batch as my 4v isnt quite finished yet and was thinking along the lines of
25l batch
2.5kg of light dry extract
0.260kg wheat malt extract(i have in the cupboard)
0.2kgs of caraamber steeped
this only comes to about 4.2% on beersmith so maybe a touch of dextrose (again i have at home) just to take it to 4.5% but 4.2 is no big deal.
i was after a really hoppy beer an have a bit to play with i think in terms of hops so any suggestions would be appreciated(was thinking about 30ibus about 13ebc)

here is what i have weights are in the pellet bag

magnum 84gms
williamette 74
amarillo 79
nz cascade 49
citra 42
chinnok 72
simcoe 36
galaxy 51
belma 77
saaz 70

was thinking us05 ?

cheers for any help(if i should move to my own thread let me know)

Magnum to bitter using the FWH method to about 1/3rd of your intended IBU.
Then I'd go Cascade, Citra, and Simcoe late to make up the rest of your IBUs.
30 IBU is not that high. Try it at up to 40 IBU, and you'll be pleased.
Dry hopping with Chinook is awesome.

US05 will work to let the hops shine.

I've not used Galaxy so can't comment on that one.

so heres is tomorrows brew schedule,what you cant see is 200gms of caraamber to steep and a 1l starter of us05 (on stir plate)
cheers for your suggestions warra

dave81 said:
so heres is tomorrows brew schedule,what you cant see is 200gms of caraamber to steep and a 1l starter of us05 (on stir plate)
cheers for your suggestions warra
It sounds like you've got it all worked out Dave but I might as well add that my favourite beer at the moment is my 'Leftovers' Pale Ale, which has some similarities to your hop schedule, and was designed in part to get rid of the annoying quantities of hops I had left.

Magnum at 60min to about 13 IBU (tinseth).
Centennial and Chinook @ 15min to make it up to 40IBU
[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Centennial, Chinook and Amarillo @ flameout[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Dry hopped with Chinook and Citra.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]I managed to clean out my stocks of Centennial, Chinook, Amarillo and Citra in one beer, and it tastes great. I typically only use one or two hop varieties per beer, so maybe I need to be more adventurous, or maybe I just jagged it with this particular beer?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Anyway, good luck with yours! Cheers. [/SIZE]

I was wondering if I should squeeze some of my amarillo into the schedule aswell as it goes well with citra I beleive amd ive had it a while.any though s cheer s?.
Cheers ken :)

Amarillo is delish used late IMO but with all those other hops it may get lost. But then again if you threw a fair whack in as a dry hop it may work well. I have made a few brews with Simco, Citra and Amarillo combo and they turned out great. Give it a go.

dave81 said:
I was wondering if I should squeeze some of my amarillo into the schedule aswell as it goes well with citra I beleive amd ive had it a while.any though s cheer s?.
Wereprawn's already covered it I think Dave. My palate isn't sophistimacated enough to know whether I'm getting much from the Amarillo. I had 23g left and was determined to use it one way or another.
Anyway, the combo worked for me in this case (better luck than judgement I think).

I think you'll get something good either way. Cheers.

When it come's to pale ale, American or Australian, Amarillo goes with everything.

:super:

Hmmnn I think im gonna chuck in say 30gms dry hop and maybe even some 20-30 at 0min aswell .i just want a party in mouth and everyone's invited ;)
Cheers all for you replys

Latest posts

Back