Kit Fermentation Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J B

Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if this has already been asked. I tried searching but could not turn anything up that seemed related.

I'm onto my second kit brew (Coopers Pale Kit). My first attempt was a of a dud, mainly from temperature issues as far as I can tell. I've resolved that as much as I am able at present with this batch and everything seems to be going okay so far (OG: 1.051 and currently at 1.010 after 12 days in the fermenter). I also added some Amarillo hops to this second batch.

A mate is also on his second batch and mentioned he is leaving it in the fermenter for 3 weeks before bottling. Understanding the primary fermentation will be well and truly completed in this time and the additional time will allow some conditioning in the fermenter.

I am just wondering if, at this level of brewing, if an additional week or so in the fermenter will really make that much difference or whether I am just as well off bottling now (given it has will have been 2 weeks and I have checked I am getting a consistent FG)?

Thanks,
JB

A little extra time will allow the yeast to settle and will provide a better result, particularly if you can cool it down for a while before bottling.
The extra time also ensures that the brew has well and truly finished.

Thanks.

The biggest concern I have at the moment is temperature control. With my current arrangement I think I have managed to keep things under a max of 24 and mostly to about 22.

I'll leave it a bit longer depending on the temperature.

Temperature issues are more important at the start of fermentation than the end. I'll often ramp temps up toward the end of a ferment. So a beer fermented at 18 may end up at the end at 21-22 before cold crashing.

It may take a bit longer for the bottles to carbonate if you leave the beer in the fermenter as more yeast will drop out before bottling. But it doesn't seem like you are in a hurry so all is good.

Cheers.

^^^.
Not really.
I have cold crashed hard, had nearly no sediment in my bottles, and still had a 2 week bottle carb time/

From what I understand the extra time in the primary, also means more yeast doing the cleaning up/condition, therefore a cleaner/faster aging occurs. Anyone with more knowledge than me is free to correct me!

After trying D-rests and cold crashing and all this, I have found some unexpected results mainly around longer bottle conditioning times. I dunno why, have thought maybe takes a little bit for the yeast to wake back up, but I don't really know.

I find myself leaving the brew for 4-6 weeks in the fermenter at the constant temperature (I typically use 12C for lagers and 18C for ales). I'm really impressed by the flavours I'm finding by doing this.

Thanks all.

Temperature wise it has been between 24 and 25 degrees which I know is not optimal but will have to do for this attempt.

I took another reading today and it is still at 1.010.

I think I will give it another week in the fermenter and then bottle. I'm looking to bulk prime on this attempt so we'll see how it goes.

Appreciate the feedback.

I don't remember any of kit brews I've done going below 1010.

When ye get around to it, grab a 2nd fridge from somewhere and setup of temp control. It does make a fair difference to taste and your fermentation time. At 24-25C that brew prob would have finished fermenting in 3-4 days.

Back