Kit\extract Ipa Recipie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi zoidberg,

You could use two cans (1.5kg) of light malt extract and then steep around 300gms of med crystal for the grain bill. This would give you a basic basis for the recipe

Then use the hopping schedule as listed in the database recipe. Simply adjust the amounts for a volume of 20ltrs (divide current qty's by 2).

Otherwise have a look around for Ian's kit/extract excell spreadsheet, and you'll be able to design it a bit more accurately.

Cheers SJ

as a 23L batch

Steep:
0.4 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)
0.1 kg Weyermann Caramunich II
Boil the above with the hop scedule outlined in the recipe (cut values in 1/2~ to reduce IBU for a 23L batch)

you will need around 3.5KG of Liquid Extract, 1-1.5kg tin of this should be wheat malt extract, the remainder light extract.

0.35 kg Cane Sugar <-- add this at the end of the hop boil.

You are done ;)

cheers jim, I'll try that. But can you clarify one thing for me, was that two cans 1.5kg each or 1.5kg in total?

And excuse my newbieness, but steeping is just putting the grain in hot water (70 degrees) and then filtering the grain out? Will I need to crack the grain? because I don't have a mill or anything like that..

Cans are 1.5kg each. BTW fourstars 'grain'+ extract bill looks pretty good too.

With the steeping, place your grain in hot water between 60-70deg for about 30mins, strain off liquid leaving grain behind and then boil away. You can get your grains crushed by your LHS.

Cheers SJ

And excuse my newbieness, but steeping is just putting the grain in hot water (70 degrees) and then filtering the grain out? Will I need to crack the grain? because I don't have a mill or anything like that..
I crack mine with a rolling pin in a lunch bag then bung into a stocking similar to a teabag heaps easier & you can chuck the whole lot when you're done. Not ideal but sometimes you've got to use what's on hand

I crack mine with a rolling pin in a lunch bag then bung into a stocking similar to a teabag heaps easier & you can chuck the whole lot when you're done. Not ideal but sometimes you've got to use what's on hand

you could also put them in a tea towel and bash them on your bench/brick wall. not great efficiency but shuld bust up most of the suckers.

yeah I was thinking about using a rolling pin or something of the likes.

A guy down the road has a machine for crushing oats, I might ask him if he can do it.

yeah I was thinking about using a rolling pin or something of the likes.

A guy down the road has a machine for crushing oats, I might ask him if he can do it.

If you LHBS won't do it (for free) then you need to look at finding a new LHBS.

If you LHBS won't do it (for free) then you need to look at finding a new LHBS.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of choice here in Hobart. The one I go to in Moonah is OK, all their gear is pretty reasonably priced except for the kegs, they wanted $100 for a (used) 19L! Yeah right.

Latest posts

Back