Kit And Kilo With Cane *shudders* Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuun

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am going on economy mode next brew.
I have researched alot on the cane sugar effects on a brew and as scary as it seems, I think I am going to put down a K&K - A pale ale kit + a kilo of cane sugar + kit yeast just for kicks to see how it turns out in the end.
Probably drinkable I hope. Might waste a kit and some water but I guess if I never do it, I will never know =)

Yeah, Cane Sugar is despised on these forums. That said, I often use it and it gives me beer that I like.

I am not a big beer, strong hops type beer drinker - I just prefer something light and refreshing with plenty of alcohol - so white sugar works for me.

p.s.. Don't tell anyone, but I usually add about 300g of white sugar to even my all-grain brews as it gives them a bit more alcohol and imho makes them more drinkable. I have used ingredients like Coopers BE1 and BE2 and prefer plain old white sugar.

sugar has a time and place and you need to know how, when and how much to use. belgians for example use sugar.

anyways, you'd be better off using some dextrose to increase the alc.

if you use sugar in your planned brew, just watch the termp and dont let it get over 18C.

Yep, sugar has its time and place. I think Jamil siad it best when he said (paraphrasing)...

A brewer who says he won't use sugar is like an artist saying that he won't use white paint because it will wash out the painting too much. White paint can be used to highlight the darker colours, but it does need to be used judiciously so it doesn't overpower

Well something like that anyway.

White sugar is fine if you are brewing for yourself. I've used it plenty of times when I had nothing else. You might want to leave it for 6 weeks tho, sometime any earlier could be a bit "homebrewy".

Hi guys,

I am going on economy mode next brew.
I have researched alot on the cane sugar effects on a brew and as scary as it seems, I think I am going to put down a K&K - A pale ale kit + a kilo of cane sugar + kit yeast just for kicks to see how it turns out in the end.
Probably drinkable I hope. Might waste a kit and some water but I guess if I never do it, I will never know =)

Nothing wrong with the idea so long as you follow CM2's important advice about temps. Keep your expectations realistic and there's no reason you can't turn out a beer that is drinkable. Personally, I'd be considering a different tin than the PA. That tin needs a bit of help, I reckon, and you wont get it from plain sugar. Use a more flavoursome kit and I think you'll get a better beer for it.

Good luck.

I agree on the kit aspect. I might spice it up with a teabag (or 2 or 3) of EKG
I actually just had a Wychwood's Fiddler's Elbow to identify with the PA style.
Not the best beer I had (I prefer the Hobgoblin) but it certainly is refreshing.

If you want your beer to taste like homebrew, use 40% sucrose. :icon_drunk:

Haven't made one with CSR sucrose for a long long time. But even those brews were better than buying a slab of CUB! (the satisfaction of DIY) Things are so much better nowadays don't you think with all the brew enhancers etc, ... it's hard to go wrong.

What is the reasoning behind this?
Too higher ferm temp - is this what gives cheap KK it's "homebrew chemically" taste?

I believe so.

Based on my experience 12 years ago brewing kit & 2.5 kilos+ with a heat belt in summer.

I think the OP is trying it out after considerable experience to get a comparison. Takes some balls to start a thread like this, so lets not assume that its a legitimate proposition - rather - an experiment - just to see what it turns out like.

Without temp control and some nice active yeast, homebrew taste here we come as far as I am concerned., But I think he will make a good go of it. Seems like he knows what he's talking about, so good luck and report back with what it turns out like.

I havent had the balls to try a K&K since I found out about malt, so good luck dude!

What is the reasoning behind this?
Too higher ferm temp - is this what gives cheap KK it's "homebrew chemically" taste?
Well sort of yes. Generally speaking u shouldn't brew ales highes than ~18c or the flavours produced aren't great due to the stuff the yeast throws off at higher temps, fusil alc starting to be produced and in regards to white sugar, higher temps seem to increase it's characteristics. None of this is great in such a 'plain/light' beer. Ie u could get away with it in a stout cause there is more flavour/body etc to hide behind.

You can brew good beer with kits, just know their limitations and how to get around those limitations and what each of the ingrediants does for beer. Once u understand that, then u can start making great beers.

Again you'd be better off using ur be1 or be2 (or mix ur own it's a lot cheaper - search for what in be2. It's up somewhere on AHB). Then use dex to increase alc rather than sugar. Dex can thin and dry out a beer in large quantities but anything less than 750g and u should be right (I'm making a general statement. Pls consider ur own individual recipes. I would add more than 500g of dex to a 21l brew. I use more malt and hops to balance)

Half the reason I left the KK scene and went grain was "that'' taste. Could never produce a NICE tasting KK but the other was the availability of good quality products to start with. Hard to make something good with bad ingredients though.

I believe so.

Based on my experience 12 years ago brewing kit & 2.5 kilos+ with a heat belt in summer.

I think the OP is trying it out after considerable experience to get a comparison. Takes some balls to start a thread like this, so lets not assume that its a legitimate proposition - rather - an experiment - just to see what it turns out like.

Without temp control and some nice active yeast, homebrew taste here we come as far as I am concerned., But I think he will make a good go of it. Seems like he knows what he's talking about, so good luck and report back with what it turns out like.

I havent had the balls to try a K&K since I found out about malt, so good luck dude!

Hey Bandito,

Thank you for your kind comments.
Yes it is an experiment, sort of. I am curious with all the 'bad' hype with cane sugar
and I need to experience it one way or another before I can move on =)
So yea!

Hey Bandito,

Thank you for your kind comments.
Yes it is an experiment, sort of. I am curious with all the 'bad' hype with cane sugar
and I need to experience it one way or another before I can move on =)
So yea!

Ha I know, right!
I was curious with all the 'bad' hype with cane sugar, but then I listened to people who have used tried and true methods, and I realised my curiosity wasnt even worth venturing toward =)
So yea!

kind of :icon_offtopic: but,

for what it's worth, still one of the best beers I have tried is a mates Coopers Stout, kit yeast and a kilo of white sugar. It can be done.

Latest posts

Back