Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree this spreadsheet has helped alot of people step up in what they are doing and introducing them to the next step..WELL DONE :beer:

Hi Oakers

Welcome to the forum, thanks for the comments.

Good to see another brewer from Tasmania on the forum

Hey guys love this spreadsheet, but what happens if we decide to use a different brand of liquid malt extract thats not listed, for example ESB Light malt extract?

Hey guys love this spreadsheet, but what happens if we decide to use a different brand of liquid malt extract thats not listed, for example ESB Light malt extract?

You need to go to the MALT worksheet (LME's start row 30) and enter in the details. This is the same for any ingredients not listed, just go to the relevant worksheet and enter the details.

cheers

Ian

You need to go to the MALT worksheet (LME's start row 30) and enter in the details. This is the same for any ingredients not listed, just go to the relevant worksheet and enter the details.

cheers

Ian

ok cheers should of noticed that, just wasnt sure if i would break it by adding any info, now the can should have all the info i need on the can??

Sheet is absolutely incredible. I am an Excel expert but a beer novice. I can really appreciate the effort you put into this.
When I tried saving recipes and recalling them i did have issue. I notice in the recipes sheet there were lines with ingredients but
no recipe name. I cleared those lines and now it works perfectly.

Sheet is absolutely incredible. I am an Excel expert but a beer novice. I can really appreciate the effort you put into this.
When I tried saving recipes and recalling them i did have issue. I notice in the recipes sheet there were lines with ingredients but
no recipe name. I cleared those lines and now it works perfectly.

Thanks and welcome to the forum. If you are an Excel expert then you can see I am not (self taught) but can find a way to do things. The only problem I had with saving and retrieving recipes was with recipes saved under older versions of the spreadsheet, gave hashes till reselected the grains, then all ok.

Hopefully being in metric measurements would not cause you too much of a problem.

cheers

Ian

ok cheers should of noticed that, just wasnt sure if i would break it by adding any info, now the can should have all the info i need on the can??

You may need to check a website for the relevant info - mine is updated with heaps of different LME's etc and the hops are all modified to have the AA% of the harvests I have at hand etc :D

How can one add more than two adjunts?

Hi Drewski

Welcome to the forum. In short you can't. The only way is to create a new ingredient and add it on to the adjuncts worksheet. Which is easy if you are using the same weight of two ingredients, just average their EBC and potential (assuming both are 100% fermentable) but harder if using different weights.

cheers

Ian

Just found this awesome spreadsheet. Thanks so much Ian for sharing it. It's brilliant :beer:

I found this spreadsheet when I first joined this forum, but didn't think I'd ever have any need for it so pretty much ignored it. Started playing with it over the last week or two, changed my mind.

Very useful tool if you want to have a play around with your beer, well done mate. :icon_cheers:

Hi Ianh,

I'm a very new member and brewer too mate, and after doing a LOT of reading on brewing, your spreadsheet has given me some great guidelines for experimenting, and some nice ideas; thank you!

A little question though. Are you familiar with how to take a 'snapshot' of the data that someone might have, and use it in a code line, or html address or excel formula or something similar? i'm no expert at all but seen something similar done before where, for example, i could make a recipe, which then generated a line of code, or a box which had the formula/settings, that i could then copy and paste. so if i wanted to give my recipe to someone on here, i could just paste it in a thread, they could copy it, and paste it into their spreadsheet in some box which understood the formula, and populated their spreadsheet (with my recipe).

does that make sense?

if it worked, it might be a real quick way of experts giving novices like me some advice on additions to their beers or what ingredients to add etc :)

Hey guys,

Just wondering if it is possiable not sure, but what happens if i want to use 3 different types of DME in a recipe? As there is only two slots for this and i usually like to add a little wheat DME for head retention.

Cheers

Hey guys,

Just wondering if it is possiable not sure, but what happens if i want to use 3 different types of DME in a recipe? As there is only two slots for this and i usually like to add a little wheat DME for head retention.

Cheers

The immediate solution would be to combine the weights as fermentability should be about the same, however there is probably a way to add an extra line for dme as per hops or grain. Ian has given some tips on this throughout the thread, I am hopeless with excel but others more familiar with the program should be able to tell you exactly how to do so without stuffing everything up.

Despite my incompetence with excel I find this spreadsheet to be a fantastic tool and it has really helped me better understand the brewing process and preparing recipes. Thanks again Ian!

quick question guys, under this excel spreadsheet what would you put a Mexican Ceveza Under or Corona Style? American Lager?

quick question guys, under this excel spreadsheet what would you put a Mexican Ceveza Under or Corona Style? American Lager?

Corona is an American Lager, remember that Cerveza is spanish for beer, its not a style.

Hi Ian
This spreadsheet is amazing, I signed up just to get a copy of have been using it a lot.

One question though, where I live DME is much more expensive than LME, so I tend to swap DME out of recipes for LME.

I always went by the assumption that they were basically the same, except the LME was 20% water - therefore I would divide DME quantity by .8 to get the equivalent amount of LME.

In your spreadsheet, if I create a recipe with say 1.5kg of LME and 1kg of DME I get - OG of 1.036 and FG of 1.009 (I've excluded grains / sugar for simplicity sake)

However, if I swap out the DME (1kg) for LME (1.25kg), I get OG of 1.037 and FG of 1.011.

Have I made an incorrect assumption around converting DME to LME or is there something else going on I haven't taken into account???

Cheers

Hi BrewDaddy and welcome to the forum.

My understanding is Liquid malts contain approximately 20% water, varies with manufacturer. The figure I used is slightly different. If you put 3kg of DME in 23 litre gives OG 1.049, 3.75kg LME gives OG 1.050 however I would expect the calculated FG to be the same. So something is slightly amiss with the FG formula and I suspect the true answer lies somewhere between the two.

cheers

Ian

Back