Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the responses guys.

It's only reaching final gravity just now so hopefully down the track it will be drinkable, at least i have a starting point for my next one and maybe have learnt a lesson that i should do half brews with Extract, until i get a few recipes to my tastes, so that if i don;t like the end product i don;t have so much of it to dispose of. (By drinking!!)

Mick.

Hi Ianh, I just wrote a recipe in you spredsheet and the style was set to Irish red ale then I changed it to the style I wanted (American amber) and noticed that the final IBU's changed, so I did some more testing and found that all styles varied bit with the final IBU's but only when HCF is selected, not sure if this is a bug, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Cheers Brad :beer:

Weird, well picked up wizard.

That might be another reason why my beers were a hell of a lot better after I turned the HCF off.

I'm sure Ian will have a fix, haven't seen him about for a while.

Yes interesting will have to have a look at that seems to change the IBU slightly for some reason.

I dont use the HCF so had not noticed.

Thanks

cheers

ianh

Had a look and it seems to be doing the right thing.

As you change you target IBU (which is what happens when you change styles) then the concentration factor increases or decreases with the change in target IBU.

So if you have a light lager IBU 10 you have a very low concentration of the hops oils in the boil so a low HCF factor.

As you increase the target IBU value, the hop oil concentration in the boil increases thus the HCF factor increases to compensate for the higher concentration of hop oils in the boil.

If you select a Russian Imperial stout mid point 70 IBU you get a very high HCF because of the high hop oil concentration needed to attain the 70 IBU.

Similarly if you decrease the boil volume you increase the hop oil concentration and the HCF increases.

Hope that makes sense.

cheers

Ian

Hey Ian, nice work mate. Have yourself a beer.

Should it run ok in office 2007? I keep getting a debug error when trying to use the make recipe button, have tried with a few different options & checked the references in VBA as suggested in an earlier post.

Any ideas about Open Office? Not sure how compatible macros are there.

Anyhoo, thanks again, it's a real cool piece of work

Goldy

The spreadsheet doesnt work with Open Office. Spoke to Ianh about this, and he can explain it much better than I could ever hope to. The macros are not compatable or something along this line.
BTW Ianh, must catch up for a beer soon.
Cheers
David

Hi Ian,

I have a small problem with selecting the hop additions.

When I click on the hop variety drop down menu I only get down to 'tettnanger' so the menu won't display the last 9 varieties down to 'Zues' for some reason. It's only happening with the hop varieties, none of the other drop down menus seem to be affected.

I'm using office 2000 if that helps.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Farside

Need to put a number in for both the dex and for the maltodex even if its zero.

Excellent spreadsheet I think better than beersmith
Is their any chance of adding corn syrup (dry powder) into the DME drop down list as I do use this in most of my brews for head retention.

Cheers
Shonks

Excellent spreadsheet I think better than beersmith
Is their any chance of adding corn syrup (dry powder) into the DME drop down list as I do use this in most of my brews for head retention.

Cheers
Shonks

Isn't dry corn syrup pretty much maltodextrin?

Alas, it seems I cannot use this excellent looking spreadsheet due to the presence of ActiveX controls. Using Apple Mac with Office 2004 which does not support ActiveX. You don't by any chance have a version without ActiveX do you Ian?

Alas, it seems I cannot use this excellent looking spreadsheet due to the presence of ActiveX controls. Using Apple Mac with Office 2004 which does not support ActiveX. You don't by any chance have a version without ActiveX do you Ian?

It'd be easier to install windows.

I am having issues using some of the Macros.
On my laptop (which i use open office not microshaft) I can't use alot of the macros like the up and down arrows and so forth. Have you had any experience with this?

And on my Desktop PC (microshaft excel) When I try to save a recipe It opens a visual basic text box that states it "Can't execute code in break mode" any idea wtf that means? In fact i seem to only be able to use the new recipe button on the bottom right of the main page.

EDIT: Ok I have worked out how to fix the break mode problem it is simply caused by having visual basic open. However, If I click either Make recipe or Delete recipe in opens up visual basic and I get the same dialog box with "Compile error: Can't find project or Library" any ideas?

Try redownloading the file from here. I had a similar issue. redownloaded, issue went away.

However I still do get the up and down arrowing freezing quite often!!! shts me!!

I also get the same error as you with a newly downloaded copy. I am running MS Office XP, WinXP SP3.

regardless it is still a kick arse spreadsheet and Ian is a genius

I am having issues using some of the Macros.
On my laptop (which i use open office not microshaft) I can't use alot of the macros like the up and down arrows and so forth. Have you had any experience with this?

And on my Desktop PC (microshaft excel) When I try to save a recipe It opens a visual basic text box that states it "Can't execute code in break mode" any idea wtf that means? In fact i seem to only be able to use the new recipe button on the bottom right of the main page.

EDIT: Ok I have worked out how to fix the break mode problem it is simply caused by having visual basic open. However, If I click either Make recipe or Delete recipe in opens up visual basic and I get the same dialog box with "Compile error: Can't find project or Library" any ideas?

I'm also getting a little problem picking out hops for my recipe. For whatever reason I can't select some hops in the drop down box (for arguments sake I'll say Centennial) but I can see the hops listed in the "HOPS" tab. I'm working around the problem by just selecting another hop and adjusting the AA% figure.

Also, just a suggestion, but it would be very handy if you could edit your first post with the latest version of the spreadsheet. (save me dredging through 12+ pages!)

Love your work by the way. Keep it up! :beer:

I'm also getting a little problem picking out hops for my recipe. For whatever reason I can't select some hops in the drop down box (for arguments sake I'll say Centennial) but I can see the hops listed in the "HOPS" tab. I'm working around the problem by just selecting another hop and adjusting the AA% figure.

Also, just a suggestion, but it would be very handy if you could edit your first post with the latest version of the spreadsheet. (save me dredging through 12+ pages!)

Love your work by the way. Keep it up! :beer:

All the ingredients used on the main page are listed from row 150 down. This is where you can change the values and add ingredients. There should be some info on the Notes page of the spreadsheet.

The pages with the ingredients are just there to give more info.

Thanks for the suggestion re editing first post will look at doing that.

cheers

ianh

Hey Ian,

Can you please post the latest edition to this page, to save me looking through all the pages.

Cheers

Robbo

I keep getting a message on opening the spreadsheet "Error in loading DLL"

Does anyone know why this is so?

Cheers

Back