Kirin Ale Malt Bulk Buy.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks, after looking at both the malt analysis sheets, I would have to say that neither is a good malt for craft brewing. Both have too much modification - a Kolbach of 48 tells you the stuff has had the guts malted out of it. There wont be too much body or flavour left. The earlier batch has an OK protein level but the current batch is unbelievably low - 8 point something! I have never seen a malt that low. And the colour is way too high for a pale malt - and out of range for their own spec.

How a maltster could produce such varying results amazes me. Seems like nothing has changed at Kirin...

Wes

Thanks for the input Wes, I was planning to send you a PM and ask if you would mind having a look, since you have done that for us before.

I had worked out from looking at Kunze that it was highly modified, and low nitrogen, which I thought maybe put it closer to a pilsner malt, apart from colour? So I have done a first lager brew where I chucked in some Vienna for body.

Bearing in mind that it was very cheap, and some people have a lot of it, what would you recommend to get the best out of it? Say a 69 degree mash? Better in a lager or an ale?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the comments Wessmith - we (speaking for others) appreciate the interpretation into english.

It kind of begs the question - what is this stuf used for then? Or does it mean we've been stitched with a dud batch ?

What sort of thing should we look at to make up for the lack of body and flavour - should we up things like Carapils and Melanoidin ?

edit: GL is too quick for me (again)

I don't get it, I thought the colour was a bit too light! Isn't pale normally 5-7 EBC?

Any mates that come over for a beer will appreciate it as most have no idea of what a good beer is.

25kg for $20 !!!!!

Almost all of my beers in the recent Beerfest used Kirin base malt, did'nt get any silver ware but I was happy with the placings and points scored. One judge asked the question, which European malt was used.

This malt will not give anything to a beer other than being a base malt, but it will let your other malts and the hops become more evident.

Thanks for the input Wes.

I made two brews with this on Saturday. One was a wheat beer and the other a pale ale. The pale had >95% Kirin and it stuck like a *******. I had to add rice hulls and underlet some really hot water to get it to flow. Even the second runnings were slow. Funny thing is, the wheat with just under 50% Kirin flowed fine.

Both mashes were 67C in insulated coolers with braid manifolds. Virtually identical except for the mash bill. :blink:

Does anyone have the spec sheet for the Kirin LAGER malt from a couple of buys ago? I need the TSN, but I can work that out from the total nitrogen and the soluable Nitrogen percentages.

Thanks

Ben

I just did a Coopers Pale Ale clone using this Kirin bulk buy malt, with no sugar added at all, and it is very close to the real thing, has slightly more body than CPA but not much, so that should give people a feel for what to expect from this base malt. For lagers, I have been adding about 5% vienna and 1% melanoidin, and have been so happy with the results I got two more bags. For summer ales I have been using 50% Kirin and 50% MO with good results.

Back