Kids, Don't Try This At Home!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildaYeast

Reaction score
Have been slowly assembling my equipment to move from K&K to AG. Figured I am getting close. Ordered some grain from Ross yesterday and fired up the burner under my kettle last night to boil up some ginger beer for the wife and son (non-alcoholic, just a ginger tea). Figured this would be a good trial run before putting my precious grain-derived wort to the test.

I had of course already fired up the burner for 5-min or so with a bit of H2O in the kettle. Got a bit of foul odour, but I explained quite knowledgably to my wife that this was just the paint on the burner baking in -- no worries.

Had to run in and out of the house a few times for domestic duties. Came back out about 45 min into my planned 1-hour boil and noticed I had a lot of yellow flame due to the condensation on the lid draining to the outside of my kettle and running down into the flame.

As I was adjusting the flame, I noticed something like the following:

Photo_071807_002.jpg

Hmmm... not just baking paint. Fortunately, this was just a bit of counter-top sitting on my work bench. I figure the smell was the laminate surface slowly baking away until it finally cooked through and expose the chip board core, which promptly started to glow.

Managed to escape without too much disaster, but the shed smells a bit smoky. Guess I really ought to get around to progressing plans for a proper brewstand...

Chagrined, Brian

Wildayeast,

I use paving tiles under my burner to reduce the level of domestic anguish.

Welcome to AG! Have lots of fun!

As Wasabi said, or get a couple of wood heater tiles for a base. I put a couple in the oven to cook pizzas on. Work well. Cheap as well.

I'm jealous you are moving to AG....... Coz I ain't got the room....

You have plenty of room Brooksy for AG...I know you do, cause I have been to your place. :p

Or...do a deal with them Bikies next door , they have plenty of room... :ph34r:

I use VW rims for my brewstand... the old 5 lug ones have a fairly large hole, but the three ring fits perfectly. 5 AGs and no burning rubber yet :ph34r:

Hey Wilda!!!

Good to see you out and about posting again.. even if you are burning your house down in the process.

Get that AG rockin brother...

I am looking forward to trying your new AG beers at this year's xmas case swap..

Sqyre.. ;)

Careful with Chipboard, if it's hot enough it can continue slowly smouldering on the inside. I'd be soaking it with the hose, or putting on a wet back lawn to make sure it doesn't continue to burn before bringing it back inside amongst the flammables.

I sit my 3 ring burner on cement sheet, kept off the ground by a couple of 4x2 sections. Airflow does the job. Conducted a few (slightly nervous) experiments in my all wood shed before my first brewday. Non heat conducting material & air gaps are the go.

Some tine ago now, I bought a 75litre boiler and did an extract brew in it on the kitchen stove. We have granite benchtops and at the end of it had Finance Approval to go out and buy a dedicated heat source.

I've never looked back (mark may argue, of course, having tried my beer) but you really have to build a system that doesn't catch fire and doesn't matter too much if it does - even though it won't...

You have plenty of room Brooksy for AG...I know you do, cause I have been to your place....
Mate I still haven't got my garage/workshop/brewery/shed/doghouse/hangar up yet. :lol:

SWMBO has claimed our spare room for a pampered cat, and we still have one freeloader at home. :(

No room mate.

On the pension, how about donating several thousand (no receipts issued) to the Brooksy Benevolent Society. :lol:
Trust me......

Back on topic: What ever is put under your burner MUST be fire rated. Things like fibrous cement have a tendency to explode when enough heat is applied. Get a couple of fire bricks from the hardware or wood fire shop. They are cheap enough and guaranteed not to explode.

Concrete slabs also have a tendency to explode is enough heat is applied due to air bubbles trapped in them.

Please believe me when I say "GET MATERIAL MADE TO WITHSTAND HEAT APPLICATION!!!"
Please....

Hey Wildayeast, why not make your first AG into a brew day.

I'm sure some of us could make it out to your place and give some pointers.

Back