Kettle Shaking Uncontrollably

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, so many helpful replies, thank you!!

i'll definitely try some of these ideas, particularly the testing of the pot and slowing the heating before bringing the water to the boil. it is a new pot, from dave's home brew in north sydney. it isn't the most expensive cookware (was about $75 from memory) and when you look on the underside of it, it curves upward slightly so that when on a flat surface it does rock a bit.

when i finish work i'll have a better read through your responses and see what i can try and test out. beerisyummy, it is an induction glass stove top, yes.

really appreciate your help. thanks all.

wow, so many helpful replies, thank you!!

i'll definitely try some of these ideas, particularly the testing of the pot and slowing the heating before bringing the water to the boil. it is a new pot, from dave's home brew in north sydney. it isn't the most expensive cookware (was about $75 from memory) and when you look on the underside of it, it curves upward slightly so that when on a flat surface it does rock a bit.

when i finish work i'll have a better read through your responses and see what i can try and test out. beerisyummy, it is an induction glass stove top, yes.

really appreciate your help. thanks all.

That is where got my pot from, just experiment with lower heating rates and don't knock the pot.
You will be fine.

Nice one Fletcher. You're going to love the BIAB compared to the extracts and adjuncts. The whole experience is better, not to mention the taste.

Using a thin pot, with an unsteady base, on an induction cooker is not really making the best use of the equipment. This is something I've been looking into a fair bit lately while trying to design a simple brew station for inner Sydney living.
There are a few products available that act as diffuser plates for induction cooking(and someone mentioned them earlier). Using a plate like that in the pot is where I'm at right now. My hope is that the plate will act like a large, low wattage per mm heating element which would solve so many problems on a small stove top rig.
No driling of pots for elements, no scorching of wort, accurate control of temperature, easy as cleaning and the next best thing to having an element directly transfering heat into the kettle. It wouldn't interfere with any whirlpools either, although it seems they don't matter too much in a smaller diameter pot.

+1 for Dave's Homebrew. The boys have always done the right thing by me and all the gear I've bought has been good quality for a reasonable price. You can get stuff cheaper but a business needs to charge a mark up for doing all the running around for you.

Fletcher, do you have any space for a gas ring burner? Might be a cheap fix

Sorry a little off topic but why is everyone afraid of drilling a pot? Its not expensive you can get a $20 drill from bunnings (if you don't already have one), hole saws can be expensive but its not hard to find them cheap then you can brew wherever you like, if/when you upgrade you already have the tools and an element.

Fletcher, do you have any space for a gas ring burner? Might be a cheap fix

i've got a tiny surry hills apartment with a small balcony that could fit one...will have to see how my tests go tonight with slowly bringing the pot to boil on my stove

galbrew, your idea worked perfectly, thank you. keeping it on about 3/4 helped a bunch then when it was close to strike temp, it could be at full power with no problem.

3/4 power still kept a nice rolling boil too so i could even keep it there for the 60 mins no troubles.

thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions; helped me a bunch, not only for my next few batches, but for ideas for future ones too.

sexyfuntime

Good to hear

I didnt have the patience for my electric stove at home - its either boiling over or stone cold, no real medium. My missus HATES it (damn you rental house)

I forked the cashola for a 4 ring burner, didnt realise how big it was - but well chuffed I got the 4 instead of the 3.

Besides the missus was not really into the aroma of malt and hops in the morning - not sure why!?

galbrew, your idea worked perfectly, thank you. keeping it on about 3/4 helped a bunch then when it was close to strike temp, it could be at full power with no problem.

3/4 power still kept a nice rolling boil too so i could even keep it there for the 60 mins no troubles.

thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions; helped me a bunch, not only for my next few batches, but for ideas for future ones too.

sexyfuntime

Excellent! I felt your pain I had the identical problem with the identical pot when I started brewing. I brewed quite a few batches before I moved out of that apartment with the electric/glass cooktop. Once you get up past a certain point you can jack it up to full though.

Happy brewing :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back